Eliminate Pop-up icon on startup

Terrygee 13:03 26 Apr 03

I have recently installed a Pop-up Stopper which is 100% effective against new Pop-ups, but one particular Pop-up had embedded itself prior to that installation. On every restart its icon irritatingly appears in my taskbar, on my desktop and in my list of all programs. How can I get rid of it? I am relatively inexperienced so I will need step-by-step instructions.

VoG™ 13:05 26 Apr 03

Try Spybot click here and/or Ad-Aware click here

MAJ 13:12 26 Apr 03

See if it's listed in msconfig, Start > Run, type msconfig, click OK, click the Starup tab, or if it's listed in your startup folder. You can also check to see if it's listed in the registry, by starting the Registry Editor, Start > Run, type regedit, click OK and navigate using the little + signs to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Click on that "Run" folder in the left pane and it's contents show in the right pane, right click the offending entry and choose Delete.

As you're editing the registry, make sure you back it up first.

Terrygee 15:36 26 Apr 03

Yes, it's listed in the Startup folder. After unticking it (presumably this is how I get rid of it?) I am instructed to restart. On restart the icon has been eliminated but a message tells me that the Sys. Con. Utility is in Diag. or Sel. Startup mode and that I should choose Normal Startup and undo the changes (i.e the unticking). This takes me back to square one. Am I doing something wrong? I daren't touch the Registry. Would be out of my depth.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…