Elementary question re BT Broadband modem

James-299039 20:41 14 Jan 06

I have just ventured into Broadband after several years with dial-up. I am with BT Broadband Option One (I am a light user) and my modem is a Voyager 205.

I am not technical and I had a technician from my local computer store install the Broadband at the same time as he installed my new computer. He was unable to effect an Ethernet connection, which he said was normally preferable) and used a USB connection instead.

Thus far it seems to work very well.

However, being new to Broadband, I have a couple of basic questions about the modem.

The technician told me I should leave it switched on at all times with power going into it, even when the computer is switched off. I notice the modem gets slightly warm which I believe is normal. The green Power and DSL lights remain on and steady all the time but the green USB light sometimes flickers when the mouse is being used.

Is this all normal and should the modem be left on at all times?

I'm sorry if this is very basic but I would appreciate assurance (or otherwise). Thank you in advance.

Graham ® 20:48 14 Jan 06

The flickering light is probably the data, it is normal for it to flicker whilst on line.

The modem should power down when the PC is switched off.

stalion 20:51 14 Jan 06

My modem BT voyager 100 is switched off at the mains everytime after my pc is turned off.No idea why you should leave the modem on

Graham ® 21:14 14 Jan 06

Ah, it's a mains powered router! What does it say in the manual?

James-299039 21:45 14 Jan 06

Unfortunately, BT did not supply a manual for the modem. It was sent with leads, filters and a set-up CD-ROM.

A small booklet addressing mainly access problems and advanced use was included, as was a glossy magazine that was primarily advertising articles but did include some sections on specific problems with Broadband and the Internet generally.

None of it addressed my specific queries.

Ikelos 21:52 14 Jan 06

they do get warm, the flickering light is data, and mine is left on 24/7 even when the laptop is off.......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017