Electronics question - capacitors

VNAM75 10:58 17 Jul 06

Sorry this is not IT related. I have a heavy duty food grinder that has a motor which is powered through a standard socket/plug. It uses a grinding stone and metal shredder inside. It is not able to shred as finely as before but it operates when it is switched on. I have been able to locate a capacitor inside which is housed in its own casing and can be detached. Would the capacitor need changing in this case or is there something else wrong? I am suspecting that the motor is not getting sufficient electricy to operate at its peak.

johnnyrocker 11:05 17 Jul 06

unlikely, brushes?

johnny.

VNAM75 11:40 17 Jul 06

Thanks Johnny. Could you tell me why its unlikely and what are brushes and where can I locate them?

€dstowe 12:35 17 Jul 06

Capacitors are used for motor startups to provide the "oooomph" to get the motor going. They either work or they don't. Often when they are about to not work, they self destruct with a spectacular noise and firework display.

Capacitor start motors don't normally have brushes so I don't think there's much point in looking for them.

I don't know the design of the working parts of the machine but from what you describe, it could be that the spacing of the stone and metal shredder may be excessively wide due to wear of the moving parts.

Giggle n' Bits 12:44 17 Jul 06

Mixers, lawmowers etc all have them, I think they look like copper stringy wire, as I have never seen one but have had gadgets in the house go wonky when they ear out. Rember them Scalateric games the old type they had to have like brushes material underneath the motor car to make it contact.

Now getting into thje subject then Alternators or Starter Motors in cars have brushes in them.

Lok at the following link for info on the Motor

click here

Cheers.

VNAM75 13:01 17 Jul 06

Thanks everyone, think I'll just take it to get it tested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now