electric supply after shutdown?

L plate marky 20:26 21 Apr 04

Is it good practice (or bad) to switch a pc off at the wall socket after shutdown? Or does it not matter?

Thanks

Gongoozler 20:30 21 Apr 04

There is some power in the computer after shutdown, so for complete safety it's best to switch off at the wall.

SEASHANTY 20:30 21 Apr 04

Don't suppose it really matters. I leave mine on the mains switch. However my new LG 28" W/S TV which uses just a two wire connection to the plug. i.e. mains live and neutral (NO EARTH WIRE) states that it is advisable to remove the mains plug overnight when TV is not in use. Take your choice. To be really safe. Switch it off at the mains.

Gongoozler 20:50 21 Apr 04

Any manufacturer is likely to advise unplugging the equipment when it's not in use. That way they hope to avoid being sued in the unlikely event that the equipment blows up, burns the house down and kills the occupants! Modern equipment, computers included, generally aren't completely switched off when powered down, but instead are put into a standby mode. Because of this, failure of a component can cause a fire, with the potential to result in the consequences I described. The fact that this is very unlikely to happen doesn't mean it can't. Most of us happily leave our televisions etc. in standby mode, but only a very foolish person would risk litigation by saying that this is good practice.

Mad Mick 22:18 21 Apr 04

If you switch off at the wall would the CMOS battery not run down?

Gongoozler 07:19 22 Apr 04

Hi Mad Mick, yes - eventually.

L plate marky 19:50 22 Apr 04

Thanks all, as long as it doesn't harm my pc I'll probably start switching off at the wall.

Cheers

sattman 20:48 22 Apr 04

If you are switching off at the wall, then you may as well pull the plug out from the socket

In doing so you will protect your computor from any possible damage that may become induced onto the protective earth cable.

Smegs 20:55 22 Apr 04

You could also buy a Surge Protecter. This way your covered always. You may even got a couple of new PC's out of it if anything goes wrong with the s/protecter. You've got two types of insurance this way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…