Elderly Toshiba laptop-help please to install OS

Memoryman 21:51 08 Jun 06

I've recently been given a Toshiba Tecra 550 CDT, which was working fine on Win 98, until its previous owner attempted an upgrade to Windows XP. (probably not very wise given its specification!) At power up, it now gives the choice of Windows 98 or Windows XP, however neither works. It just reports lots of missing files, says that Windows cannot load, and goes back to the C: prompt. Any help or suggestions on how to get it back to Win 98 would be appreciated, I have a Win 98 CD. But the computer doesn't have a floppy drive, which I think was an external option. If it was, it's now missing alas. So that may limit recovery possibilities. A possible route is to get into the bios and make the CD drive the first bootable drive and then just put the Win 98 CD in there, but can't find any key that gets me there! I've tried all the "f" keys, "delete" "ctrl" Also I have no documentation or drivers, so even if recovery to Win 98 is achieved I imagine that drivers for the display and the "green button" tracker are needed?
Even though it's a pretty old laptop it IS a laptop!! I'd find it very useful when on the move, and the battery seems to be fine.
Many thanks for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:11 08 Jun 06

Reboot the computer while holding Escape key and then pressing F1 key:

Toshiba HW software installed? click here

mgmcc 08:43 09 Jun 06

My Windows 98SE Toshiba laptop boots from the CD drive by pressing the "C" key when powering on - the option isn't set in the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…