EIDE or ATA

centaur 11:00 03 Mar 04

I am just upgrading my brothers PC (1998 model running Win98). The ram has been increased to 256Mb. The current HD is only 3G and I want to increase this to 20Gb or 40Gb. The interface is IDE. I see from earlier postings that EIDE will work satisfactorily but what about Ultra ATA/100 or/133. The Bios/Cmos can be set for LBA so physical size should not be a recognition problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Centaur

JIM 11:08 03 Mar 04

a 20Gb or 40Gb drive upgrade is fair enough,but you may find that the cost for that size of drive New, may make you consider larger drive.(VALUE FOR MONEY)

The Belarussian Mafia 11:23 03 Mar 04

I believe it all depends on your motherboard and your cables. This link might be of interest click here . As I understand it, at least some later ATA interface standards will work on boards designed for earlier standards, but the performance will be limited to that of the earlier standard (e.g. if the board only supports ATA 100, ATA 133 disks can be used, but will only function at ATA 100 speed.)

centaur 14:03 03 Mar 04

JIM, thanks, point taken.
The Belarussian Maffia, thanks for the links, I've downloaded enough pages to cope with insomnia for the next week

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…