EIDE controller ?

hector 911 21:06 11 Dec 03

I`ve not long run sisoft Sandra 2004, on XP.

several results confusing.

1st, it informs me sis5513 EIDE controller A,B step PCI latency set to high

how can I check this, and change ?.

cpu temp sisoft states 11.5c, BIOS states 28-30c
which is more accurate.

thanks for replies in advance.

sil_ver 22:14 11 Dec 03

If your computer is running ok then ignore both temps as they are notoriously inaccurate. PCI Latency is set in BIOS all Sandra is doing is suggesting you can lower it. Not to techie but I think it's something to do with how long it waits before carrying out an instruction. Someone may be able to explain it better. but as I say, If it's running ok leave it alone

Gongoozler 22:24 11 Dec 03

This from
click here (but as sil_ver says, unless you really know what you are doing, leave it alone, you won't get much improvement from changing it anyway, the BIOS defaults are usually near optimum)

"If the latency timer is set too low, PCI devices will interrupt their transfers unnecessarily often, hurting performance. If it's set too high, devices that require frequent bus access may overflow their buffers, losing data"

As for the temperatures, the BIOS is designed for the motherboard, SANDRA isn't, so believe the BIOS. You could try installing AIDA32 from click here. Under the heading Computer - Sensor, you will get figures for the temperatures and voltages. These are usually fairly accurate. If they agree with your BIOS figures, then use those in the future, and ditch SANDRA.

Tog 07:37 12 Dec 03

Gongoozler: - Can't get your link to work.

In easy terms, PCI latency is the amount of time that a PCI card keeps control of the PCI bus for after it has completed an operation, on the off-chance that it will need it again straight away.

Most BIOS has the PCI Latency sorted out nicely, I have adjusted mine but purely because there is a known problem with my chipset. Best left alone if everything appears to work.

Gongoozler 09:32 12 Dec 03

Hi Tog. The link appears to have lost the l from the end of html. I'll try it again click here

Tog 12:16 17 Dec 03

Ta, different slant (and better informed) on what I understood it to be but much the same result in the end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…