Ei System 308 - switching on...?

User-1277191 08:26 30 Jun 08

This sounds daft, but I have trouble switching my PC on. There are two buttons on the front of the system unit. One large on with off/on, one smaller with no symbol. When off, one press of the off/on rsults in the green power light coming on, the fan starting up and the CD whiring. No red disk light though. I can sit like that for ages until I start pressing a combo of the two buttons until the beep and red disk light action. If I "sleep" rather than shutdown, then a quick press of the off/on gets it started, but I'd rather do a full shutdown. Instruction manual doesn't offer any help.

Help!

Ditch999 10:55 30 Jun 08

Sounds like a power problem but it could be a number of things including your hard disk or your motherboard.
How old is the PC and what OS is it?

User-1277191 11:17 30 Jun 08

PC is only a few months old, running Vista.

Any idea what the smaller button is for? Someone suggestes soft restart. I'll go back into PC World where I bought it, but thought I might just be suffering from muppetry.

Ditch999 11:37 30 Jun 08

The smaller button would probably be a reset switch as you say but the fact is there is something wrong with the PC and it is under warranty so take it back.
Do you get any writing on the screen at all when you first switch it on or does it beep at any stage?

User-1277191 11:54 30 Jun 08

Nothing on the screen, it sits at "no signal". You only get the beep with the red disk light, which is what I eagerly listen for when pressing the buttons!

I'll take it back. Thanks for efforts.

Ditch999 11:58 30 Jun 08

The fact that your machine does not even make it as far as showing something on the screen says it is a hardware fault and not a software fault.
Make sure they realise that when you take it back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…