Egg timer flashing

cagey 15:59 07 May 07

I am running Win XP pro, AMD Athlon 64 processor 1.81GHz, 768Mb RAM. I have noticed recently that the egg timer alongside the pointer arrow is flashing continuously, even when I am not doing anything. Can anyone help please?

provider 2 16:13 07 May 07

Right click on the task bar and click Task Manager to see CPU usage. Which process is using up CPU resources?

woodchip 16:19 07 May 07

It may be AV or Auto straitening the hard drive

woodchip 16:19 07 May 07

PS how much free space do you have left on the Partition

cagey 16:53 07 May 07

provider2, winservicehost.exe--varying 0 to 21
csrss.exe--varying 21to 27
Woodchip, Free space on C: drive is 8.84GB of 20Gb.
Plenty of spare on all other hard drives.

cagey 21:45 07 May 07

Can anyone help please?

Technotiger 22:15 07 May 07
  Technotiger 22:20 07 May 07
  Technotiger 22:42 07 May 07

I have taken the liberty of contacting cagey via his Yellow envelope, have asked his pardon - but I believe he is not aware that he may have major problems.

Probabilitydrive 22:44 07 May 07

Have you checked out provider 2's advice? The task manager shows you the CPU usage during the time of the egg timer flashing which in turn points towards the process involved.

Here comes the tricky bit. csrss.exe is the main executable for the Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem and as such essential for a smooth running of your system. click here

It ALSO can be what Technotiger's posting implies. click here
Your AV program should have picked this Trojan up.

For the time being: Boot into safe mode and scan your system with your AV + anti spy ware programs.

Until someone in this forum suggest otherwise I would:
1) run HJT click here and post your log on the MWR forum click here

Finally, download click here the process scanner which integrates neatly into your task manager.

Technotiger 23:11 07 May 07

My apologies, should have put 'his/her yellow etc' and 'he/she is not aware etc' ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…