Effective Pixels?

Sapins 10:35 29 Jun 03

I have just read an advert for system with a digital camera included which has 2.2million "Effective" pixels. What are they and why do I get the feeling this is a bit of a con?

Regards,

Sapins.

Diemmess 11:44 29 Jun 03

I share your scepticism.......Sounds like sales-speak for "nearly as good as"!

Another line which used to be used a lot when advertising scanners said something like 300 d.p.i (600 interpolated). To me it would have been more honest to say "guessed".

DieSse 12:28 29 Jun 03

Usually the "effective" pixels are slightly less than the actual pixels. I presume it's something to do with a few being unused, or used for other purposes.

DieSse 12:29 29 Jun 03

"To me it would have been more honest to say "guessed"."

Calculated is more correct - and there are different algorithms for doing the calculation.

Djohn 12:41 29 Jun 03

click here Will explain the difference, most cameras as described this way now. j.

Djohn 12:49 29 Jun 03

Just had a look at my own link, think if I have understood it correctly. "Effective" pixels" is a more accurate/truthful way of describing the amount of pixels the camera will use. j.

DieSse 13:13 29 Jun 03

Absolutely.

Diemmess 15:45 29 Jun 03

OK It is good for the soul to recognise that this is being honest and not deceptive at all.

Sapins 08:23 30 Jun 03

Thanks for your input folks, I have a Friend who is considering buying a digital camera so he can relax if this is mentioned in the spec.
Thanks again,

Regards, Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…