Eexternal harddisk and backup system

Skinn 19:45 03 Mar 07

I back up Outlook Express and My Documents to a DVD once a week which is a bit laborious and the DVD needs erasing every two to three weeks as the weekly back up is about 1.8GB. I was thinking of getting an external hard drive - is it straight forward to back up OE and Documents to this? Just a case of drag and drop for the documents but what about OE? At present for OE, I go to Tools>Maintenance>Store folder>copy>Start>Run>paste>save to folder>burn onto DVD.

There is a 250GB External HD in Lidl this Thursday -are they any good?

I want it to back up automatically but I don't think the Lidl one has the software to do this. If I just got the external hard drive and then installed this software on the PC click here
would it do the job?

Skinn 19:48 03 Mar 07

Sorry, the above link does not seem to be working. Here's the link click here

woodchip 19:49 03 Mar 07

Yes it should just work the same. when you save just choose from drop down the external drive letter or folder on it. You may need to set the save options in a program options box

Skinn 19:57 03 Mar 07

I want it to back up automatically - will this software do that?

Skinn 16:20 03 Apr 07

I've now got an external HDD, downloaded click here and set it up to back-up My Documents,Outlook Express store folder and Mozilla Firefox every twenty minutes. It seemed to do it the first few times alright (according to the log) but when I right clicked>properties on the back-up folders within the external HDD, the created time was when I first created it whereas I thought it should have been the last time it was backed-up - is this correct?
I checked the log aagin after a few hours and it confirmed that it had started the back-up process but had not successfully backed up the folders.

The external HDD is now making a clicking & squeaking noise every few seconds.
I uninstalled the back-up software but the HDD is still making that noise- any ideas?

Skinn 11:06 04 Apr 07

It's stopped making any noise now but the drive 'cannot be found'. BTW,there are two USB plugs on the lead and I am using the main one directly from the external HDD - what is the other one for?

Skinn 14:15 04 Apr 07

I've plugged both in now and the noise continued for about ten minutes but has now stopped. Would it take that long for the increased power supply to register?

The problem now is that all of my USB ports are in use- three at the back and two at the front. Using SyncBack I have scheduled it to back up once a day so in between times is it alright to just unplug the external drive?

Perhaps I should just get a USB hub such as this one? click here

Also, do you know how to back-up bookmarks in Firefox? If I have back up the browser, would it save the Bookmarks?

woodchip 19:35 04 Apr 07

There should be no Noise, take it back under warranty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac