EDO Ram?

Newuser579 15:14 21 Jun 03

I've inherited old PC bits & for experience was planning to put them together. I understand it uses 72 pin RAM, & I have none. I thought I'd buy some 2nd hand as the assembled PC will be worth almost nothing, I won't need it & so I don't want any big expense. But only see EDO 72 pin sticks. Is this the right stuff? Do I need several matching sticks? As I said it's only to play at assembly, to give me confidence to try building a usefull PC

Agent Smith 15:17 21 Jun 03

My first PC had 1 stick of EDO 16Megs. 166MMX cost me a £1,000 6 years ago.

Big Elf 15:21 21 Jun 03

If you mail me your address and are prepared to wait a few days I might be able to get hold of some of this (for free). It's probably only around 32MB and normally has to be fitted in pairs.

DieSse 17:43 21 Jun 03

It's not possible to tell from your information whether you need EDO (Extended Data Out) or FPM (Fast Page Mode) RAM. Do you have a motherboard manual, or a model/make for it, so that it could be looked up?

DieSse 17:45 21 Jun 03

I should have added, FPM RAM usually works in all systems, whilst EDO RAM will only work in those specified to use it.

Newuser579 11:39 22 Jun 03

I think I'm a little bit wiser, & Big Elf's offer is fantastic!

Agent Smith 19:37 01 Jul 03

Several people selling EDO memory in Micro Mart am I allowed to mention that here?

Big Elf 19:50 01 Jul 03

I have to admit total embarrassment and have let Newuser579 down. I fitted the RAM (originally costing £230) from my old PC into a friends(?) PC and gave him back his original chips. The 'silly boy' (slighly stronger words than that were used) has now lost them.

Once again Newuser579 I'm sorry.

Agent Smith - I have also recommended Micro Mart. It can be a good source of cheap kit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…