Editing .wav files in Windows 7 Explorer

MartiniGirl 11:24 07 Dec 13

I have a number of .wav files that do not contain the Artist, Album, Genre, Title information. I'm sure there must be a way to input this information to an existing file but unfortunately I cannot find it. Can anyone help with this please? I am using a Windows 7 laptop and I am assuming that I can edit the information I want within Windows Explorer. The headings I want to edit are under File, Properties, Details but it won't let me edit anything within these fields.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:08 07 Dec 13

Windows deliberately prevents this for wav files

idteid3tagedit should do the job easily

I use the previous version of this program (IDT EDIT) to tag my mp3 files

MartiniGirl 13:26 07 Dec 13

Hi Fruit Bat,

Unfortunately, having downloaded the file you recommended, it would not install properly and so have been unable to tag my .wav files. Do you know any other site which could help me tag my files?

lotvic 15:16 07 Dec 13

click here and click here has info on problem with tags for .wav files

I don't know if (free) mediamonkey can overcome the tagging problem with .wav but I have heard it is a good music manager.

lotvic 15:30 07 Dec 13

There is def a problem with .wav editing tags click here the last poster found a solution with "software NeatMP3 is a tag editor and music organizer that offers support for .wav files"

Batch 17:33 07 Dec 13

As an alternative you might like to consider converting the WAV files to MP3.

WAVs are uncompressed audio and the files can be very large. Even a high bit rate MP3 (e.g. 320bps) should be much smaller than a WAV.

MP3 tags will then be readily editable.

Plenty of free format converters out there. Audacity will do the job, although it will also doa lot more (including the tags I guess).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5