Editing .PDF files

WhiteTruckMan 12:51 20 Feb 06

I have a large pdf file that I need to do some editing on. Ideally change it to a word document. I know it can be done, as I've done it before, but I cant for the life of me remember how. Anyone want to come to my rescue then watch me kick myself?

WTM

Forum Editor 13:05 20 Feb 06

do you have?

Damn Machine 13:28 20 Feb 06

The easiest way would be to use Solid Converter, which adds-in to Word and lets you open PDFs directly.

Otherwise you could try selecting all the document and pasting into word.
To resave as a PDF you can use one of the free PDF writers click here
which add into as a printer that use PDFs for ouput rather than paper.

WhiteTruckMan 13:28 20 Feb 06

At the moment I'm using 4.0
Not the newest version, but usually suffices for my needs (most often for viewing motherboard manuals).

WTM

Forum Editor 13:38 20 Feb 06

Do you mean Adobe Acrobat version 4.0?

If you do, you can go to 'Edit' and select 'copy file to clipboard'. Then paste the whole lot into a Word document. be warned that this is a broad-brush solution, you'll lose formatting when the file contents copy across.

You should also be aware that motherboard manuals are subject to copyright, and if you intend to edit and /or distribute the information contained in them - in whole or in part - you'll need the consent of the company concerned.

€dstowe 15:43 20 Feb 06

Remember that some pdf documents are locked and cannot be edited.

WhiteTruckMan 22:16 20 Feb 06

thanks fe-thats how I did it before.

The reason I wanted it was that I downloaded from the U.N.'s website a pdf document listing all the UN numbers of chemicals, details etc. All I need is the numbers, names and packing groups (and maybe the transport catagory) so I can tell my employer to get stuffed when they try to (illegally) transport hazardous material on my vehicle. The original document would print at 400+ pages, and I wanted to cut it down a bit!

The bit about manuals was an unintentional red herring I'm afraid-sorry.

WTM

BTW, if anyone is interested, the full document is here.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos