Editing my site now it's published - how ?

cowgirl66 08:53 15 Jul 06

I'm sorry but it's me again with another problem lol.

Now that my site click here is online and I see that the images are missing from the homepage, and that my form isn't working either,, how do I edit it? I'm using Dreamweaver MX 2004.

When I go to the control panel my host has provided me with and I look to edit those pages, it's all in html which I don't understand as yet, and don't want to muck things up.

Is there a way I can edit from within Dreamweaver and replace those files?

Very confused :-0

cowgirl66

cowgirl66 08:56 15 Jul 06

I have just read BexLam's thread; that may answer my question!

mco 09:51 15 Jul 06

yes; just make the changes to the site on your local drive on your pc ten upload the pages again and they will automatically change. You can also just select one page to change at a time, rather than uploading the whole site each time you want to make alterations.

mco 09:52 15 Jul 06

I mean, not ten!

cowgirl66 10:05 15 Jul 06

Thanks, I have done that and all is now well and my burger images are showing on the homepage.

Now the problem is this; I have made a form within Dreamweaver and in the Properties inspector for that form I have named the form "form1", the action is "mailto:myemail address", and the method is "GET". The Target box I have left empty, the Class box is "None", and the Enctype box has "text/plain" inside it (I read on an about.com that "text/plain" should be inserted here to avoid complications).

But when I send the form to myself with my own feedback and a "yes" radio button answer, I get a New Mail Outlook Exress window popup and it's addressed to me correctly as is the sender's email address (mine) but there is no feedback left in the message contents and the "yes" answer is not there.

I'm sorry if this sounds confusing but I'm wondering if it's the same should other people send the form to me, and as yet I don't know, because nobody's sent me the form!

Regards cowgirl66

ade.h 13:36 15 Jul 06

Re your form.

If you set the action to mailto, that is the standard intended result; your visitor's form inputs will appear in a new e-mail window ready for them to send. In all senses, it defeats the object of a form.

You need to set your action to the name of a PHP file, such as feedback.php. If you don't know PHP (which I didn't until a month ago!) I would be willing to write one for you, as it only takes a few minutes. If you'd like me to do that, let me know and I'll send the file to you via your website's e-mail address.

Before doing that, could you confirm whether your host supports PHP? I would be very surprised if it didn't, but it's worth checking.

ade.h 13:41 15 Jul 06

I've just had a look at your source code and you'll need to make a few tweaks for PHP to be sure to work. You have two radio buttons both called "radiobutton" with Yes and No values; these need unique names, so in this case you could use visityes and visitno or similar. It might be worth changing your Name and Email titles to lowercase as well, just to be safe.

cowgirl66 16:28 15 Jul 06

thank you ade.h, I'd really appreciate your help in this matter. My email address is [email protected] and I will set the values you suggest accordingly. Should I use the Post action rather than Get?

I was at a friend's house just now and she tried to send the form on my website using her computer.

But the same old Outlook Express window appeared - completely blank in the message box! Nothing on the email except recipients address (mine).

But getting back to PHP, yes please do help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, cowgirl66

cowgirl66 16:31 15 Jul 06

ade.h

just thought I'd add my webhost package here for you to see what I get ,, it's click here

ade.h 17:16 15 Jul 06

Yes, the action must be set to Post; this will post the values to the PHP file.

By the way; don't post your email address in a forum - not necessarily safe. I was already aware of your email address because I checked your site code.

Good that you chose Heart - apart from being one of the very best, it of course includes PHP support!

When you get the PHP file, use an FTP program to upload into the SAME folder as your email.htm page, so that will be the top level in your case.

All being well, you'll hear from me again later!

cowgirl66 17:42 15 Jul 06

thank you so much ade.h

I'll be in touch again either later this evening or tomorrow morning as I have to go out later this evening. I won't use my email address any more either, too risky.

I found several people in here have used Heart internet and when I visited thier webiste I was so pleased to see they offeret free webhosting, because in my instance I'm a newbie.

Unfortunately though, the free service doesn't include technical support and that's why I've been in PCAcdvisor non-stop!

My settings in my form are now set to Post and I have used lower case in all the names.

I am so grateful for you helping me, especially as I have no idea what PHP is.

Regards cowgirl66

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…