Editing High Definition Video on PC

Edward_Winsall 11:33 31 Dec 05

Hi

I need to edit High Definition Video on my PC. iMovie looks the best the only problem is that i do not run a Mac. Is there any other software that will allow me to do this? I have standard editing software but none of these will accept and maintain High Defintion video quality footage.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Mark5001 14:31 31 Dec 05

The only one I have seen is

Mark5001 14:32 31 Dec 05

click here

This is the only one I have seen but it is a whopping £1,059.00.

Mark5001 14:33 31 Dec 05

Hmmmm bit of a cock up there I think.

De Marcus™ 14:42 31 Dec 05

To enable yourself to edit / encode HD content on your pc you will need the following:

Use a computer with fast or multiple processors. Because high-quality encoding requires more computing power, use a computer with the fastest dual processor configuration available (currently, a 3 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 processor or an AMD Athlon XP 3000 processor). The encoder can use up to two processors to encode audio content, and up to four processors to distribute the video encoding load efficiently.

Have sufficient storage on the hard disk. For example, a full-length movie requires at least 300 gigabytes (GB) of disk space.

Use Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Microsoft Windows® XP Professional takes full advantage of a multiprocessor computer by automatically generating separate threads that enable processes to run different parts of programs on different processors simultaneously. This parsing of the work enables you to perform high-end encoding tasks without maximizing your CPU usage.

You should install the latest upgrades and service pack for Windows XP and the most recent version of the Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime from the DirectX page.

Use high-performance hard disks. For example, use multiple SCSI Ultra-160 hard disks with 15,000 rpm, stripped in a RAID 0 configuration. You need to use a high-performance hard disk subsystem to enable real-time high-definition video capture without dropping frames.

Defragment the hard disks regularly.

Install the encoder on a dedicated computer.

After you install Windows Media Encoder on a computer, reserve that computer for encoding only. Quit all other programs before encoding, especially programs that access the hard disk.

Turn off network and file sharing.

Turn off video preview and postview. The Input and Output areas in the main encoder window show you what content looks like before and after it is encoded. Turn off these displays to improve encoding performance.

Watch for direct memory access (DMA) buffer conflicts between the capture card and the SCSI card. These buffer conflicts may result in dropped frames. This type of conflict is less likely to occur in current computer configurations than in previous configurations. If conflicts do occur, one solution is to use a dual PCI bus motherboard configuration, in which the capture card and the SCSI card are on different buses.

Examples of video editing programs include Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, and Avid|DS HD. Note that After Effects uses the RGB color format, while the Windows Media Video 9 codec uses the YUV format. Therefore, using After Effects results in extra color-space conversions, which requires extra time to process and may result in some loss in quality.

De Marcus™ 14:44 31 Dec 05

I forgot to add you can also request a source disk from microsoft if you get your teeth really into it, just don't expect it to turn up any time soon, took them 2 months to send mine (free though).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…