Editing on dvd recorder hard drive question

GileyD 12:49 24 Sep 05

7 weeks ago I bought a dvd recorder with a 160GB hard drive. I recorded live coverage of a 3 week cycle race every day from Eurosport and ended up with 20 files totalling about 35 hours. I wanted to edit this down to 3 hours of highlights to burn on to dvd so edited each file, splitting it into about 6 or 7 files, deleting some and joining the rest to give about 10 mins for each file.

Whilst editing the last file as I was trying to split a file I got an eror message "unable to split due to disc error". The screen then went blank and I subsequently discovered the whole hard drive had been wiped, though the thumbnails for each file remain.

I am currently arranging the return of the machine to the place I bought it for refund / replacement, however I am wondering if the problem could have been caused in part by fragmentation of the hard drive caused by splitting so many files. When I spoke to the helpdesk at the manufacturer the guy mentioned in passing that the defrag option on the machine does not work and they recommend that users do not use it (no mention of this in the instruction manual!).

If this is likely to be a problem what is the best way to avoid it in the future? Would recording onto dvd-r, editing the file on the disc, then transferring the edited file on to hard drive be an answer? (the model I have allows you to copy from disc to hard drive).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…