Edit a CD

Graham ® 10:25 10 Jun 06

I have a CD back-up of a vinyl album that was recorded live. This means there is one continuous track. Is it possible to insert gaps between songs?

Fellsider 11:15 10 Jun 06

You will need some software that cleans up the recording and has the ability to separate the tracks.

One such is click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 10 Jun 06
  wint 13:16 10 Jun 06

This is mentioned in Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link, Audacity from Sourceforge click here is a neat and clever little audio editing programme. I works a bit like a cut down Adobe Audition and Audacity is free.

Graham ® 14:34 10 Jun 06

I've installed Audacity. It does not open audio CD files. I need to convert to MP3, I assume?

wint 18:23 10 Jun 06

Sorry, never thought to mention, you will need to rip the CD to a WAV or MP3 file to be able to edit it within Audacity.

woodchip 18:26 10 Jun 06

Only by using other software to rip and re-burning the music can you do it

Graham ® 18:48 10 Jun 06

Thanks, I appreciate I will have to burn a new CD once I've edited the original. I'm getting quite excited about using Audacity!

wint, I've ripped the CD to WAV, not sure I've used the best program though - Precision CD WAV. It's only a trial.

wint 20:23 10 Jun 06

The easiest programme to rip CDs to either WAV or MP3 is Real Player. Lots of people don't like Real Player because it likes to put additional software on your system but if you un-tick all the boxes you don't want, it shouldn't be a problem, it isn't on my machines at home or work.

In options you can change the file format (WAV, MP3 Real Audio etc) and the bit-rate, in MP3, I use 224Kbps.

I would choose WAV for editing purposes, and then burn it back to CD.

An alternative to Real Player is Audiograbber which certainly does MP3 and I think also WAV. It also does not appear to contain spyware. click here

wint 20:24 10 Jun 06

Forgot to say, if "Precision CD WAV" worked, that's OK.

Graham ® 17:04 11 Jun 06

Precision worked, and I can now seperate the tracks with Audacity.

The next problem is burning them to CD. Audacity mentions Nero, but that doesn't recognise WAV.

I've tried Ace-High CD burner, but it gets the tracks mixed up.

Any suggestions for burning WAV files to CD, or converting back to CDA?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…