Ecqx.exe and zone alarm

Rtus 22:09 13 Jun 03

Ive AVG automatically kickout a virus attempt via email (claiming to be my Tiscali bill) details as >> Received: from mk-smarthost-2.mail.uk.tiscali.com [212.74.114.38] by mail2.v21mail.co.uk with ESMTP
(SMTPD32-7.07) id AD0F23F0104; Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:09:35 +0100
Received: from [80.225.10.131] (helo=gs03pu)
by mk-smarthost-2.mail.uk.tiscali.com with smtp (Exim 4.14)
id 19QoIY-0008KH-S7; Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:08:55 +0100
Subject: Your Internet bill is now ready
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----------TZK6BYCNOZZD2L9"
Message-Id: [email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:08:55 +0100
X-RCPT-TO: rtus*****************>
X-UIDL: 342288115
Which was deleted imediatly As Im not with Tiscali.. Then continued to browse PCA threads ..Then noticed Zone alarm inactive..Pulled plug on the net And started zone alarm ..Only to find as soon as connection to net was established Zone alarm turned off ......Following a search A new exe as listed above was evident in my Msconfig files..Ive disabled from start-up.. Done avg(db288) scan No problems found ..Anybody else with similar symptoms!..or data on the ecqx.exe file ???

Gaz 25 22:26 13 Jun 03

This file is created by the virus ecqx.exe

Gaz 25 22:32 13 Jun 03

I am just finding out more information.

jazzypop 22:32 13 Jun 03

Can you post a link to further information on the ecqx virus? I can't find anything on it.

hugh-265156 22:33 13 Jun 03

i cant find any info either?

jazzypop 22:33 13 Jun 03

When you go to msconfig, the right-hand pane should show the path to the .exe file. Does that give any clues as to what it is associated with?

Gaz 25 22:43 13 Jun 03

Right your best bet it is send the file to AVG and ask them what to do as it is their software so I dont know what you could do.

They will be able to examine the file very closely aswell to improve the anti-virus, but warn them: Is this file I sent attached a virus, can I get rid of it?

Another is to try an online scan such as click here

Or

click here

Try disabling the file: Rename it to whatever else you want, or you could add the file to the AVG virus vault.

Where is the file located?

When was it created?

It sounds like it contains process termination code to close your Zonealarm.

See if zonealarm starts with the file disabled.

Or it could be a false alarm, but somehow I dont think so.

Where could you have picked it uo, any suspect e-mails?

Regards,

Gaz 25 22:50 13 Jun 03

I will ask at work, becuase they speciallise in security and see what they make of it.

The easy way to get rid of the suspect virus:

Delete the file.

Then check to see if anything else starts up with windows that looks suspicius, and post back, you may need to delete this too.

Then go into start > Run > type: regedit

And search for ecqx.exe, delete all entries that are found to do with this file.

If no sucess, try the Cleaner from Moosoft. It could be an unknown trojan.

The file must be trying to access home, as it is disabling your firewall.

Try the above and post back, I will then have to ask the experts on your behalf.

Regards,

PS. Sorry I have no link, I am trying to find more information, but I have jusk asked a friend from work and he says if the file is not known, by Microsoft Help and Suppport or Google and dogpile.com then it must be made by the virus (makes sense as it would also be on Pacs portal)

He said that the file seams to have the charicter of a virus so far. He says the same instructions as I have just given you above may be worth a try, other than that, Virus experts.

Gaz 25 23:01 13 Jun 03

I will then be able to get on to work tommorrow.

VoG® 23:10 13 Jun 03

What? How do you know - I can't find anything i=on this either.

It's fine posting answers but where did you get this from?

Gaz 25 23:15 13 Jun 03

As above: Sorry I have no link, I am trying to find more information, but I have jusk asked a friend from work and he says if the file is not known, by Microsoft Help and Suppport or Google and dogpile.com then it must be made by the virus (makes sense as it would also be on Pacs portal)

He said that the file seams to have the charicter of a virus so far. He says the same instructions as I have just given you above may be worth a try, other than that, Virus experts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…