Echolife Router Drops Internet Connection

andy8771 12:27 08 Mar 08

Hi,
can anyone help.I am with Talk Talk running a workstation using XP on an Ethernet connection and a Dell Inspiron 6400 running Vista on wireless.I am connected using an Echolife 520s router..this is my 3rd router.After 6 months the 1st started dropping the connection on both computers.Phone line is fine,MTU settings were changed as were lots of other settings but to no avail.I could only get connected by turning the router off and on,then fine for another 20 mins then off again!I was given another router,fine for 3 months then same problems,another router fine for 3 weeks now same problems.Talk Talk have no explanations I do not want to go out and buy another router but feel I may have too unless someone can assist.I do not have any set top boxes near the router,I am working from main Tel socket..please please help

howard64 12:30 08 Mar 08

I am with talk talk and found their equipment useless. I bought a netgear wireless router with 4 ethernet ports and this works just fine and has done for about 15 months now.

andy8771 14:33 08 Mar 08

Thanks for that, did you have the same sort of problems that I have had?Also with the Echolife ,the signal was not that strong when the router was upstairs and the computer in the kitchen, it was almost unusable.
What Netgear router is recommended, any advice again appriciated

howard64 15:15 08 Mar 08

mine is the DG834G and netgear have the best tech support I have ever come across. With the talktalk modem it was very slow - did not always connect 1st. 2nd. or 3rd. time of asking and lost connection regularly.

andy8771 21:57 10 Mar 08

Howard64,
Thanks for that, I will mark this up as resolved now as I will try another router (prob the Netgear)And hope my troubles go away.
It would be a pity otherwise as despite all I have read about Talk Talk I have found the service very good.Both the speed and Tech side, it is a pity the router does not appear to be worth the circuits it is printed on

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now