Ebay scam - but I don't see the point

pj123 10:09 21 Jun 06

I get quite a few emails allegedly from eBay about my account being suspended etc. and to click on the link.

But this morning I got one from a "buyer" advising me that the cheque has been sent for Item No. xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

I have never sold anything on eBay, mainly because I do not have an eBay account!!!

I never click on links in emails either, but this one points to URL 198. 63. 40. 224

I went to eBay and entered the Item No. in to the search box but there was "No Match".

So, what does this "buyer" gain from this?

I have forwarded it to [email protected] and will await their response.

spuds 10:48 21 Jun 06

"So, what does this 'buyer' gain from this?"

Possibly the satisfaction of deceiving certain people ;O(

Sending it to eBay spoof, will possibly result in an acknowledgment and perhaps nothing more. I don't bother reporting these things, just bin them.

silverous 11:03 21 Jun 06

..someone at work today reported that their ebay account had actually been 'hacked into' and was used to sell presumably fraudulent world cup tickets. They found out when they started receiving emails saying things like 'what's your buy it now price', logged into their account and there it was. They've reported to ebay and ebay are looking into it.

fitshase 12:32 21 Jun 06

The "buyer" gains the knowledge that your e-mail address is a valid address so they can then sell it on to other people for spam mailing.

Regards

Fitshase

pj123 15:56 21 Jun 06

Ebay have responded and advised me that this did not come from them and to delete it.

I deleted it as soon as I forwarded it to ebay anyway.

I suppose many others (who do have ebay accounts) have received this and may click on the link.

Ticked.

bluto1 19:43 21 Jun 06

Thanks for the warning anyway. My Ebay account has not been used for over a year, but does that stop them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…