eBay-PayPal payment by debit/credit card!

spuds 19:52 01 Jun 06

I have this question posted on the PayPal forum, but so far there as been no response, so I thought that I would try the trusty PCA forum for a result.

Due to make a possible bid on an item in the two/four hundred pound range. Seller's advert states various methods of payment that they will except, including the normal logo PayPal method (with protection). The seller states in their summary, that they cannot receive PayPal payments if the buyer pays PayPal by credit or debit card!.

I have never come across this before, I usually find that seller's normally request cash, cheque payments if they cannot receive funds from PayPal.Any winning bids that I do, I have always paid by the standard route. I pay PayPal by credit card or debit card, PayPal then credits the seller's account.

Any thoughts on this one?.

CHAIRLEG 19:58 01 Jun 06

Is your account with ebay verified if not then this is probably why.I think when verified it goes straight from your Bank accout and not your credit card.

rdave13 20:02 01 Jun 06

That's a new one for me also. Maybe there is a seller/ PayPal problem. Being naturally suspicious in nature I wouldn't bid on this one.

ulrich 20:05 01 Jun 06

How are you meant to pay it. I did have a problem with paying by pay pal as the person said they didn't accept it, because they didn't have time to check their bank statements. Best to have another look at the Pay Pal site to see what they mean.

Terry Brown 20:15 01 Jun 06

If you go to the paypal site click here and log on you will find a limit for your transactions, if your limit is too low,the purchase cannot be made. If you are sure you want these items, you can add money to your paypal account to cover the amount you want to spend, then advise the seller that you have funds in your paypal account to cover the cost of purchase.

skidzy 20:20 01 Jun 06

Spuds....this sounds a little dodgey to me.

It is possible that the seller has not unticked his preferred payment option,therefore when he listed the item it automatically lists the paypal logo,hence why he added the summary.

Is his feedback ok ?

Maybe contacting him first,before you bid !

Good luck

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:28 01 Jun 06

Wouldn't touch it with the world's longest barge pole. You have been warned.

qinesiq 20:30 01 Jun 06

Howdy Spuds

It might be because the seller has a personal account and does not want to upgrade to a business account in order to accept payments made direct via credit and debit cards and thereby have to pay fees (NB for personal accounts receiving money from buyers is free).

In short it looks as though your seller wishes to avoid the 1.4% + £0.20 GBP to 3.4% + £0.20 GBP per transaction.

As long as your paypal account is in credit by the amount you wish to pay it looks as though there should be no problem with the transaction.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

namtas 20:51 01 Jun 06

GANDALF <|:-)> I run a paypal account with a positive balance and no apparent problems, in your post, not sure to which you are referring, are you referring to a paypall account or this sellars term.?

sidmo 20:56 01 Jun 06

I sell on ebay and do not have a business account as the amount I sell does not warrant it, however if someone pays me by paypal I have to pay Paypal fees unless the buyers account is in credit which it usually isn't. For a large amount it's best to use escrow.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:59 01 Jun 06

Seller's term. I always take the attitude that if something is not quite right, do not entertain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…