Ebay email about suspending account genuine??

Shirl-The-Girl 13:53 06 Dec 03

I got caught out by the paypal virus a few weeks ago and today I have received an email allegedly from Ebay customer support which reads as follows but I don't want to click on the link as I am suspicious about it not to mention all the spelling mistakes within it! I haven't copies/pasted the link as I don't want anyone to try it if I won't!

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to belive that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling,the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.However,if you are the rightfull holder of the account, click on the link below,fill the form and then submit as we try to verify your identity.

If you choose to ignore our request,you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend
your account.

*Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay Inc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks Shirley

Forum Editor 14:12 06 Dec 03

and carry on with your life.

joberons 14:13 06 Dec 03

I don't think that this could be anything else but a con.

If necessary, email ebay seperately and ask for confirmation.

As u say, whatever u do, don't click on the email lol!

JIM 14:39 06 Dec 03

eBay Warning Email Hoax

Description

This hoax message arrives as a warning supposedly from a prominent online auction/market Web site. It states that the user has to resolve some problems, the details of which are ironically vague, with the said establishment. Otherwise, their accounts could be terminated.

It further gives a link to the logon page of the Web site but this, however, leads to a false location. Thus, this email aims to trick users into logging in their credentials in the hoax Web page, so that their eBay accounts could be accessed.

This is a hoax. Trend Micro advises that recipients delete this email and not send it to other email users.

Original Message

click here

Nosmas 16:51 06 Dec 03

Although I have visited the Ebay site on occasion I have no recollection of opening any account with them. Therefore I was very suspicious when I received the following: -

"Dear Ebay.com Customer,
Ebay.com is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account and determined more information was needed from you to provide you with secure service. After we collect this information your account will be reviewed. You will be notified when the review is complete.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope to restore your access as soon as possible.

For instructions on how to restore full use of your account, please go to the link below:

click here

We encourage you to update your account and restore full access as soon as possible. Should access to your account remain limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations on the use of your account or may result in eventual account closure.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Ebay.com Account Review Team"

Even more suspicious was the name appearing in the From line: - "Stupid 1.Newborn"! Needless to say I have not attempted to access the link which was given.

Methedrine 17:20 06 Dec 03

Don't click any links in the email body UNLESS they start with https://

Take a look at click here for more info.

Try to get in touch with ebay to find out whats going on and ditch the paypal account. I got rid of mine.

Djohn 17:24 06 Dec 03

I too have received an email to update my account details. I don't even have an account! So as above, delete. j.

Shirl-The-Girl 17:58 06 Dec 03

You were all extremely helpful with my paypal nightmare a few weeks ago and once again you have all been very helpful again. I will seriously consider ditching my paypal account after looking at that link! I have informed ebay but haven't heard anything back from them as yet. I think the lesson is be constantly on your guard and if in doubt check it out! I could have quite easily completed the details requested on that webpage if I hadn't have asked for help - it did look very ebay-like! In fact I couldn't have told the difference if I'm honest!
Thanks again
Shirley

watchful 20:28 15 Dec 03

I received an e-mail today with the following message:

Dear valued eBay member,

It has come to our attention that your eBay Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information
If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your billing records, you will not run into any future problems with eBay's online service.
However, failure to update your records will result in account termination.
Please update your records in maximum 24 hours.

Once you have updated your account records, your eBay session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems.

click here

Thank you for your time!
Marry Kimmel,
eBay Billing Department team. Is this a hoax too?

mikef. 21:08 15 Dec 03

YES and a very common one as well, ebay NEVER sends these sorts of email, if you do as it says you will find your bank account or CC robbed.

You can usually tell these fakes by the grammar, look at the last line!!

jimv7 21:27 15 Dec 03

I forwarded mint to ebay, this is their reply.

Thank you for contacting eBay about an E-Mail you received that appears
as though it is an authentic E-Mail from eBay. We will investigate
this
situation immediately.

Please be advised that there have been cases where people have
attempted
to gain access to an eBay member's personal information by sending
"spoof" E-Mails. Spoof E-Mails intentionally give the false impression
that they have been sent by eBay to solicit people to transmit their
account information. Based on your inquiry to eBay, the E-Mail you
received was likely a spoof.

eBay is very concerned about spoof E-Mail and is taking prompt action
to
address the issue. If you think you may have entered personal
information into a spoof site, please make sure that this data can not
be abused by any third party.

If somebody else but you should know your password, please change it
immediately:

To change your password, please follow the steps below:

1. Click on the "site map" link located at the top of any eBay page

2. On the Site Map, scroll through the "Services" section

3. Locate "My eBay"

4. Click on the "Change my password" link and follow the instructions
on
that page.

If you have entered credit card information or other bank details
please
contact your bank immediately.

As we move forward with our investigation, we will contact you if we
need further information. In order to dedicate resources to
investigating this type of situation, please submit any other questions
or concerns through our Help System, which can be accessed by clicking
on the Help button at the top of any eBay page.

*Please do not respond to this E-Mail as your reply will not be
received.

If you need to contact us again, please use the eBay Help system.

We appreciate your efforts in helping keep eBay a safe online
marketplace.

Regards,

eBay EU Fraud Prevention

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…