Easy way to transfer Internet settings?

Bald Eagle 18:56 16 May 06

Daughter is changing computers, present one XP pro new one XP home. Is there an easy way to transfer the Internet settings so that ALL the relevant details are moved over?

ade.h 18:58 16 May 06

Yes. Write them down.

I keep a written record of all my Windows and application settings and have been very glad of it on more than one occasion.

Simsy 19:08 16 May 06

there is something called "File and setting transfer wizard"

I suspect that will do what she needs...

But I've not used it, so don't rely on me!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

amonra 19:11 16 May 06

I agree with ade.h print them out and store them away safely. It's far safer than relying on a program or a corrupt disc.

Woolwell 19:16 16 May 06

Did it recently. I used Print Screen and pasted into Paint and printed out pictures of my settings.

"A picture is worth a thousand words" or something like that.

ade.h 19:17 16 May 06

The File and Settings Transfer Wizard is - in my experience anyway - absolutely useless. I have had occasion to use it when planning a re-installation, before which I would save the OPS file to a Flash drive or similar, reinstall to the point at which the OS and apps are basically as they were, then try to apply the settings. It never worked and after probably three seperate installs (I do it once every couple of years) I have learned the hard way.

ade.h 19:18 16 May 06

I have used the technique that the above poster describes; it's very useful for being able to visualise where all the settings are found, though I ended up with a heck of a lot of images!

Bald Eagle 19:59 16 May 06

Thanks everyone, paper and pencil it is!!!

Regards,

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…