easy way to format with win 98 se?

dfghjkl 22:45 24 Apr 04

hello,i hope you are all well.i have just blagged an old pc from work.it originaly had windows 95,then it had an upgrade to windows 98 se.i have the 95 disc and the upgrade cd.i want to wipe the hard drive and start a fresh,it is only a p2 233mhz,so xp is not suitable.what i want to know is,do i have to reload 95,then upgrade it with the 98se disc after i have booted with a boot disc? or is there a way to do it in windows?there is a format option when i right click onto "c"drive,but i am not sure how successful it is.any advice will be helpful,thanks.

SANTOS7 22:49 24 Apr 04

click here this should give you answers you need,good luck

VoG II 22:50 24 Apr 04

You will need to make or download a boot disk and use this to do the format. You can download a boot disk from click here

If the 98SE disk is an upgrade you will need to install 95 first then 98 over that.

click here? and click here should help you.

woodchip 22:58 24 Apr 04

If the computer is running put a blank floppy in drive go to start\settings\control panel\add remove and press create boot start disc. if you cannot get one from above go click here and download the SE oem disc put a floppy in drive and double click the download to create boot floppy. start computer with floppy and leave untill it gets to A:\> type format C: so it looks like this

A:\>format C: press enter.

after rebooting with the floppy choose start with cd and type the cd letter in like this D: then type Setup. PS if your CD rom letter was D:\ it will be E:\ just temp while you get windows loaded. So if it was D:\ you would type E:\ so that it looks like this

E:\SETUP and press enter

mgmcc 00:25 25 Apr 04

<<do i have to reload 95,then upgrade it with the 98se disc after i have booted with a boot disc?>>

No. You can clean install 98se but it will check to see if you already have a qualifying operating system (Win95) installed. If you don't, at some stage during the installation, you will be asked to insert the "Windows 95" CD so it can verify it is a valid copy. The 98se installation then proceeds.

mgmcc 00:25 25 Apr 04

<<do i have to reload 95,then upgrade it with the 98se disc after i have booted with a boot disc?>>

No. You can clean install 98se but it will check to see if you already have a qualifying operating system (Win95) installed. If you don't, at some stage during the installation, you will be asked to insert the "Windows 95" CD so it can verify it is a valid copy. The 98se installation then proceeds.

dfghjkl 00:26 25 Apr 04

thanks chaps,it looks like 95 then the upgrade disc.see you tomorrow.peter

dfghjkl 00:33 25 Apr 04

sorry,mgmcc, cross threaded,i will give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…