Easy way to copy old data and programs form old pc

jake2 22:31 15 Aug 09

As above, is there an easy quick and simple way to copy all my programs and data from two smaller drives on my old pc to one larger drive on my new pc?
Or do I have to instal all my programs from scratch on the new pc?
Both systems are/will be using XP home.

jake2 22:43 15 Aug 09

I dont want to take the os from the old pc tp tje new one.

BRYNIT 00:03 16 Aug 09

Most programs will have to be reinstalled from scratch. Documents etc can be copied to CD/DVD or flash drive.

rdave13 00:11 16 Aug 09

Photos,documents and music, browser favourites can be installed on to DVD, CD, or flash drives.
Email addys on Outlook can be saved I believe but never used the program. If you only use web mail then no problems.
Any software you have installed will have to be reinstalled on your new machine.
For a complete changeover you could use something like Acronis or Paragon software to clone your old hard drive to your new one. If you haven't done it before then it won't be easy.
Here's a link but I imagine it will cost. Never used this item so cannot vouch for it; click here
Blimey costs £28.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:28 16 Aug 09

Easy way to copy old data and programs form old pc to new pc?

Data and settings - Yes
(File and transfer wizard built into windows)

Programs - No
(need to reinstall)

Op system - No
If you clone the drive then the op system will not work on new machine as drivers will be incorrect.

Data programs and op system to a larger drive in SAME machine - Yes (Acronis)

jake2 22:29 17 Aug 09

Would it be possible to put all my data and settings onto the 2nd drive in the old pc then put that drive into the new pc and take them from there?
Would the file and transfer wizard take all the network connection settings etc over to the new pc? I've never used it before.
I'm not looking forward to setting up the e-mail accounts and profiles etc again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:32 17 Aug 09

Would it be possible to put all my data and settings onto the 2nd drive in the old pc then put that drive into the new pc and take them from there?

Yes

Would the file and transfer wizard take all the network connection settings etc over to the new pc? I've never used it before.

Yes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…