Easy update event listings site method?

Patr100 17:09 22 Dec 07

Ok I am working on an early idea for an events listings site. I could manually add them (I use a variety of mostly WYSIWYG progs - I am not a coder) but wonder if there is a simple appropriate ready made user friendly solution.

Basically I want to able to easily and quickly add entries as and well - at the moment I require to show sonething like this:

Current events:
Event title - Date from/to - with hyperlink to more info at an external site. Also to add whenever event is Free.

Events starting Jan 08

Event starting Feb 08

and so on..
--

I would like to be able to customise the look of the page/entries a little but the overall look I want to keeep fairly clean.

Additonal Visitor options eg sorting to show all Free events etc might be useful . I also may want to add a small image for some if not all entries.

Any suggestions. folks ?- There may be a CMS that can do it t but I have no practical experience of any of them as yet.

Forum Editor 00:10 23 Dec 07

click here

It's written using PHP, and uses MySQL databases, which you'll need if you're going to offer your visitors list-sorting facilities.

Patr100 00:43 23 Dec 07

Thanks I had a glance sometime before , pity their "live" demo has been unavailble for months now.

Frankly, to me, Open source though often free to use , has rarely been user friendly - I've some limited experience but for someone who has never installed or used my SQL etc the layout and install options look quite intimidating.

I do have a small reseller account now with unlimited mysql to experiment with, if I attempt to install I need some time to get my head around this.

Patr100 01:12 23 Dec 07

Ok following the 184 page (1) pdf manual - I have uploaded the install files to a subdomain www folder and get the expected pre install check screen - Ok apart from: I see under files permissions : "Unwriteable" you need to change the permissions on the file or directory to allow Joomla! to write to it."

but don't know yet how to do this ?-

Patr100 01:27 23 Dec 07

Ok I found some help by google and have enabled permissions using Filezilla ftp except for configuration.php.

-

-

Patr100 01:34 23 Dec 07

Now stuck on entering the database userame/password/databse name which has to oibe creared elsehwere on c panel I think...

Patr100 01:54 23 Dec 07

Woo Hoo! While you guys have been sleeping I have
set up my first mySql databse and installed Joomla.

Now will have a closer look soon....

Patr100 02:05 23 Dec 07

Slight hitch . I am trying to log in as administrator which presumably would the username password I created earlier for the MySql databse but says wrong password so far...

Patr100 02:12 23 Dec 07

Ok got in as Super Adminstrator - noit sure where the other My Sql created usernames etc fit .

It's late, time for bed.

-

Forum Editor 09:35 23 Dec 07

but persevere, you'll be glad you did. Joomla is very popular, and works well, once you have it up and running.

You were looking for something to fill up the Christmas break, weren't you?

mco 11:54 23 Dec 07

Nice to know you persevered and nice to have kept us informed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…