easy solved internet explorer problem

pharte 23:50 20 Aug 05

I'm running xp pro and have just reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the basics, I now find I can't openm ebay, any microsoft site and most of the msn sites so I can't download any windows updates.
I know it will be a simple settings problem but what do I need to change ?.

I'm running AOL on broadband and the aol browser seems to be able to get more sites than i.e so I can only surmise its a ie setting problem

hugh-265156 00:16 21 Aug 05

what happens when you click here please?

have you installed the latest version of windows update and verified your copy of XP?

Use IE to do this the AOL browser might not work with windows update.

pharte 00:30 21 Aug 05

slow loading until it times out or says page cannot be displayed.
same with the other sites.
AOL browser connects and says the microsoft website has a problem
.net passport will not load either....it's only some sites....ebay, microsoft and msn passport type sites

pharte 00:32 21 Aug 05

as asked I've verified the copy of xp and upgraded from service pack 1 to service pack 2 using the disc from microsoft, it's just the update website thats the biggest problem

AndySD 00:33 21 Aug 05

Since you have just reinstalled have you installed, updated and reun a virus checker?

Also are you using a firewall?

johnnyrocker 00:39 21 Aug 05

in my opinion your probs stem from an install of sp2 without the proper preparation try uninstall sp2 and see what happens.

johnny.

AndySD 00:41 21 Aug 05

Try going to the Security Centre in the contol Panel and set it to Auto Update and set the time to a few mins after you set it and wait to see if it auto updates.

rdave13 00:58 21 Aug 05

Is your TCP/IP stack correct?

Start-}Run-} cmd -} press enter.

Type netsh winstock reset

If you get: successfully reset the winstock catalog message then restart comp.

johnnyrocker 01:06 21 Aug 05

good tip dave will save that

johnny.

pharte 09:58 21 Aug 05

I'm using windows firewall at the moment and avg virus checker although it would be almost impossible to have got a virusfrom a clean reinstall.

I've tried the cmd command RDAVE and it gives "the following command was not found:winstock reset"

Mr Mistoffelees 10:09 21 Aug 05

Please note, the command should be winsock, not winstock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…