Easy Question

Pesala 12:49 14 Dec 03

A site I visit has changed it's index page from index.html to index.htm.

What difference would it make? Is it perhaps something to do with Mac compatibility?

barryoneoff.co.uk 13:12 14 Dec 03

but I don't think it makes any difference whether you use either form.

Pesala 13:20 14 Dec 03

It used to be click here but they changed it to click here

The first link no longer works. It could be that the webmaster didn't realise he had changed the options in his web program, but I suspect that it was a deliberate change.

Taran 13:41 14 Dec 03

FrontPage and Dreamweaver (to name two) have a default file extension of .htm

A quick look at the souce code of the page gives the game away and tells me that this page was produced using FrontPage 2000, which can be found in one of the page metatags, as follows:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">

For web pages it doesn't matter which extension you use until you start getting into XHTML and dynamic content.

For the bulk of web page documents though, .htm or .html is fine and there is nothing stopping you mixing them in the same web, as long as you remember the target your hyperlinks properly since index.htm is not the same, as you have found, as index.html

Regards

Taran

tomleady 10:10 15 Dec 03

you dont need the fiel extension for this site. you can just put click here
and it works fine.

Sir Radfordin 10:22 15 Dec 03

All the other pages at click here end .htm so perhaps they decided to either change them all or fix the index page to be the same as the rest of the site.

As Tomleady points out, you often don't need to link to the index/default page as this is the one the browser will call from that director anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…