Easy Note R1004 - Fails to show 1GB of Memory

foxman318 22:37 17 Nov 07

Scanned my Lap Top using crucial website scanning facility.

Purchased recommended 512RAM Stick.

Installed additional 512RAM Stick (Now 1GB total).

Booted computer - System properties show only 448MB. BIOS still shows about 512MB of physical memory.

I installed the new RAM Stick in both the RAM slots to confirm serviceability of both the new RAM and the slots. All was ok but the system still showed 448MB.

I am assuming the BIOS automatically recognises a RAM upgrade.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

woodchip 22:48 17 Nov 07

Have you tried the new ram on it's own in both slots?

foxman318 22:59 17 Nov 07

Yes....and it works perfectly.
For some reason the system cannot recognise 1GB which is strange as the spec allows for 1GB.

Fox.

woodchip 23:04 17 Nov 07

Contact crucial about the problem. They are the one with the best help on this problem. it may be the wrong memory. Also sometimes you are better having match same makememory

brundle 23:06 17 Nov 07

System will be sharing some memory for video - if that's set to 64, and physical memory still shows 448mb when you remove the new chip, the chip is not working or not recognised. click here

Best to call Crucial, excellent customer services.

Totally-braindead 23:31 17 Nov 07

It could be the second slot on your computer is actually faulty but agree its better to contact Crucial.

foxman318 23:32 17 Nov 07

Yes I think crucial may get a phone call from me soon.
I understand video memory and that is set for 64MB.

If it is the wrong memory, it doesn't give you confidence in their memory scanning facility.

You may be right woodchip, in the sense that perhaps their is compatibility issue between the 2 Memory Sticks and although both work if put in singularly, when both are put in together, perhaps one is cancelled out by the other....

Fox.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017