Easy Connection ?

craneman01 23:24 01 Dec 05

Have a base unit computer & have got a new laptop. Decided it would be good to connect them together to transfer data.
After 3 days & much pulling out of hair , I am unable to get them to see each other.
Can get the laptop to get internet connection no problem but to get data transferred between the computers is a problem.
I have enabled sharing on all the drives & have run the wizard to set up a small home network etc numerous times. Can get the mobile to see the base computer but the base computer will not set up a connection with the laptop & won't talk to it. Have sorted firewall to allow it but to no avail. Very frustrated, Anyone got a way of getting them to be happy with each other ?

Skyver 23:41 01 Dec 05

What OS on each machine? XP? Standard RJ45 cables? Are you connecting the machines directly or through a router so you can access the net with both too?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08:42 02 Dec 05

What is your

Operating systems?

Network wireless- wired - direct -router?

Firewalls?

craneman01 16:52 02 Dec 05

Both XP.
cable & direct connection through 10/100 connections

woodchip 17:05 02 Dec 05

Have similar problem can see Computers and External drive Partitions on a XP desktop and 98se Desktop from Wireless Laptop Via Router Modem but it will not let me at the files

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 02 Dec 05

It is probably the firewalls disable one at a time and see if they will talk.

woodchip 19:27 02 Dec 05

No tried that

craneman01 14:51 04 Dec 05

The postscript is a relatively happy one. !
Have now got the computers to see & talk to each other after quite a few hours of hair pulling out.
The problem was Norton Internet suite. I had disabled the firewalls & the auto protect to no avail. When I turned the suite off completely for 5 minutes... Bingo. Norton was somehow masking the connection.
A word to the wise for any future would be "Easy Connectors" Turn the flaming thing off if you want your computers to talk to each other but just make sure you're not connected to the net at the same time else you may leave the stable door wide ajar for some nasty virus etc!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…