Easy Cleaner Corrupting XP Pro Help & Support

dublincity 07:36 06 Mar 05

I've had trouble for a long time with my Win XP Pro's Help and Support being corrupted by Easy Cleaner. I've kept the fixwinxphelp VBScript File (downloadable from click here) on my desktop and, until now, clicking on the icon has always restored the Help and Support.

That no longer works. I guess I could try uninstalling Easy Cleaner and then re-formatting the PC - or has anybody any other suggestions? Many Thanks.

Mandy265 12:29 06 Mar 05

I have had the same pc for two years and never needed to reformat.- try not to "clean" the OS, as this almost always lead to problems.
Just do a repair installation from your boot disk,
info regarding this procedure is abound.

dublincity 15:27 06 Mar 05

Thanks - I've read about boot disks (I had one for Win98SE) but I haven't yet made one for XP Pro. The maker told me that the formatting disk doubled as a boot disk .......... I'll get learning!

mrdsgs 15:33 06 Mar 05

2 possibilities
1. start/run: type in helpctr-regserver

if that doesn't work

2. go to c:\windows\inf\pchealth.inf right click and choose install

(you may have to make hidden folders visible for this)

mrdsgs

dublincity 17:40 06 Mar 05

Many Thanks - I'll try that .........

dublincity 05:15 07 Mar 05

'Run' no longer appears in my Start Menu

The only thing I've got right this week is keeping the cookie for auto-logon to this site

dublincity 21:15 12 Mar 05

I've finally restored the XP Pro Help and Support. I used the same (or rather a re-downloaded) rescue file but it still couldn't recognise a path - I gather that I'll have to change the name of my main drive (OS partition) back from G to C .......... anyway, I finally opened the file with Command Prompt - not too sure how or why - but it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…