easiest way to send files via usb cable from my vista desktop to my xp laptop?

theDarkness 00:05 01 Aug 08

I have never tried creating a temp network that could send files back and four from two machines before, so if i am logged in as admin on both computers, i am wondering exactly what programs or lead type i would need to be able to do so? one is vista, the other xp! thanks for any info if possible :)

ambra4 01:31 01 Aug 08

Get Windows Vista: Windows Easy Transfer

click here

Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Vista Review

click here

Belkin Easy Transfer Cable For Vista

click here

Ditch999 12:06 01 Aug 08

Or a crossover network cable would do it cheaper click here

theDarkness 13:37 01 Aug 08

I do have a standard network cable but when connected to both computers with files shared xp tells me the cable is unplugged when it is not.. probably something simple i still need to do, although the lan service is definately enabled on both computers. I have chosen files on the vista machine to share as a test, which created a new icon in the vistas network screen. Even with the firewalls switched off on both machines i get nothing

Ditch999 13:46 01 Aug 08

You need a crossover cable as opposed to a patch cable when connecting PC to PC. They are wired differently.

DippyGirl 13:57 01 Aug 08

If you have a router why not set up folder sharing on each PC? Ensure both PCs are in the same workgroup - Vista and XP have different defaults (sigh!)

theDarkness 14:04 01 Aug 08

It must be a patch cable then, but surely even with the firewalls switched off and networking on, something would show or give recognition when connected to both computers? No router!

Ditch999 14:10 01 Aug 08

"something would show or give recognition when connected to both computers" - No
Would your telly work if you got the brown and blue wires mixed up in the plug?

theDarkness 14:16 01 Aug 08

So whats the use of a cable with its wires all muddled then? :)

thms 18:22 01 Aug 08

Crossover cable click here

Daveboy 16:04 03 Aug 08

"So whats the use of a cable with its wires all muddled then? :)"
Ethernet "transmits" down 1 pair of wires within the cable and "receives" down another pair, so the other machine must receive on the "transmitted" pair and transmit onto the "receiving" pair.A cross over cable achieves this by reversing the pairs for you.
Analogy: If you drive down a section of dual carriegway from a to b, to return you "cross over", if you you about turn on the same side you wont get far !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now