Easiest Way to Create A Network

KCR 12:52 05 Feb 03

I am looking for the easiest way to connect two computers (to play games). It will be more or less a one-off so I'm not looking for anything too complicated. The two computers are running W2000 and XP. The W2000 has a network card but the XP machine does not. Both have USB and the XP machine has firewire.

Anyone have any suggestions (without need to purchase a network card for the XP machine) ?

Many thanks,

Kristen

AndySD 13:02 05 Feb 03

The network card would be the simplest and cheapest option. Otherwise look at wireless networking or there are USB options.

KCR 13:04 05 Feb 03

USB sounds good ? Do I just need a male to male USB cable and will the relevant software within the specific games detect the netowkr ? e.g. RTCW ?

AndySD 13:12 05 Feb 03

You will need something like click here

smcarlsen 13:44 05 Feb 03

The easiest option would be to buy a network card from ebuyer (about £3.00)and a crossover cable (about £3.00ish), the whole lot would come to less than a usb cable and linking software, even then would network games be compatible with a usb connection? I don't think it would use the tcp/ip protocol, which is what is needed with network games.

KCR 13:48 05 Feb 03

The (rather poor) reason I don't want to buy a network card is that I am not sure how to connect it up to the computer (and I expect that I have no free slots). Are there external network cards that feed into the computer via USB ?

smcarlsen 14:09 05 Feb 03

There are usb network cards, but they are considerably more expensive than pci ones. Win2k and xp will auto detect it with minimal fuss and probabley auto install, if not you will get a drive disk. Unless you are running loads of hardware you should have a free pci slot

Ben Avery (Work) 14:30 05 Feb 03

I will put my neck on the line and assume you don't open PC's all too often. If you do decide to slot a card in (Which would be my suggestion) be sure to earth yourself first. This is fundementally important or a "cheap" card solution could turn into a new PC!

Simply touch the metal casing after you unscrew the back/side and if you are still a little worried get a Static Wrist bracelet from any PC shop (About £5)

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 14:31 05 Feb 03

I will put my neck on the line and assume you don't open PC's all too often. If you do decide to slot a card in (Which would be my suggestion) be sure to earth yourself first. This is fundementally important or a "cheap" card solution could turn into a new PC!

Simply touch the metal casing after you unscrew the back/side and if you are still a little worried get an Anti-Static Wrist bracelet from any PC shop (About £5)

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 14:32 05 Feb 03

Sorry for extra post there - I missed the "anti" of Anti-Static, so hit "STOP" then resent!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…