Easiest steps to Dreamweaver MX 2004

Revi 17:50 20 Apr 04

I am a novice at web designing. I have just bought Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004, version 7 I think. Is there any book which could help me learn MX 2004 so that I can successfully make make my own webpage and publish it too? I want an easy book with exact illustrations from MX 2004. I have some books teaching DW but their illustrations don’t match MX 2004 at all, simply because the books are outdated. Any tips any one?

Taran 18:38 20 Apr 04

I'm not willing to recommend one book since most of them that I've read are fine up to a point but not one of them is seriously good. Most tend to take you through steps 1 to 10 but may miss out steps 4, 6 and 8 along the way. There's a lot of that sort of thing about and most books are flawed to one extent or another in this way.

All is not lost though.

The Dreamweaver help files actually contain a full set of tutorials with sample files installed into the Dreamweaver folder in your C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\Samples folder. That's the location for Dreamweaver MX, and I think that MX 2004 is the same location. I'll be able to confirm this later when I'm in front of a machine with MX 2004 installed on it.

The other thing I'd suggest is for you to use the web to your advantage.

The Macromedia site has a load of tutorial resources, walk throughs, discussions, printable versions of the helpfiles and getting started documents, sample files and whatnot:

click here

Using CSS within Dreamweaver MX 2004 tutorials:

click here

DMX Zone have some excellent tutorials:

click here

The Dreamweaver FAQ site is truly astounding:

click here

Others may offer different thoughts on one or more books, but I've been largely unimpressed so far with those that have come my way.

Forum Editor 18:50 20 Apr 04

that has really been worth the time spent in reading it. I'm an advocate of the 'dive in and experiment' school of learning when it comes to web design software. By doing it that way you may spend a bit more time, but you'll end up knowing more about the software than if you use a book to go from point A to point B - seeing nothing on the journey.

The DreamWeaver FAQ link provided by Taran is an astonishing resource, and frankly I would be surprised if you couldn't find everything you want to know there.

Revi 21:51 20 Apr 04

Thanks to both of you. Taran, I was reassured to learn that it is not me alone that finds that most commercially available books are rather written haphazardly. Your links would be very very useful to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…