early disconnection from isp

macrobbo 18:14 08 Aug 04

I run windows me.
I keep getting disconnected from modem after 10 mins which is set for 2hours idle time before disconnection. When I checked the properties box it had somehow been changed to 10 mins-not by me I hasten to add. I kept connecting by the freeserve box that asks you if you want to be reconnected yes/no. But I hear there is a scam that if you reconnect by the yes/no box you are reconnected to a premium rate number.
How does one know if you are caught up in this, before getting your next phone bill?
As soon as I heard of this scam I now reconnect the initial way.
The only way I don't get cut off 1st 10mins is to keep active and not sit reading what I want to read.
I am not very good on the technical side of things quite a novice really. Perhaps there are settings I don't know about. I really hope someone can help please

stalion 18:17 08 Aug 04

run a check to see if you have any nasties on your system click here

JoeC 18:29 08 Aug 04

properties are not set to " disconnect if idle for XXX minutes " - just in case !

Internet explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Settings ( for your ISP ) then Advanced.

macrobbo 20:09 08 Aug 04

Many thanks to Stalion and JoeC, I took advice from you both. Don't know what I would do without you guys. Still learning from this excellent helproom. Thanks again much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…