E220 3 USB Modem

Colin 15:56 08 Sep 07

My son has bought a 3 USB Modem to access the internet via his laptop. The laptop has XP SP2 on it. The model is a HAUWEI E220 HSDPA USB MODEM. When installing the modem the software starts to install then stops with the message:

“An I/O error occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file.” There are 2 options below this message to abort or retry. Retry throws up the same message and abort gives another message: “Corrupt installation file!”

I have tried to install the modem in my PC with exactly the same results.

The 3 website three.co.uk is no use and the installation manual is very sparse. There is a reference in the manual to three.co,uk/usbhelp , but this comes up as page not found. The Hauwei website is useless as well. Having Googled this problem there are problems reported with this modem with Vista, but not XP. Does anyone know where the drivers can be downloaded from?

If I don’t get anywhere my son will send it back, (he bought it online), but I’m concerned that the replacement will have the same problem, too.

ambra4 16:04 08 Sep 07

Colin

Check this site might help

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 08 Sep 07

Explore the CD for the drivers you may have ones for XP and ones for 2000 in seperate folders, they are exactly the same copy the 2000 drivers tp a folder on the Hard drive connect the USB modem let XP find new hardware and point it toards the 2000 drivers (do not use the CD to install)

Colin 16:29 08 Sep 07

Thanks for the responses. ambra4 - I've already looked at that site. Fruitbat - there is only a driver CD for a MAC, the Windows drivers are in the modem itself. You are just supposed to be able to plug it in and it will install taking its drivers from the modem.

Colin 18:02 08 Sep 07

I've come to the end of my tether with this. I've installed it and uninstalled on both laptop & pc so many times that I've lost count. Sometimes it part installs as a Mass Storage Driver, then a CD Drive or a Data Drive. I accept that things go wrong, but the support offered by 3’s website is useless and the manufacturer, Hauwei, only allows support & downloads to registered technical users.

ambra4 19:46 08 Sep 07

Check this one

click here

ambra4 20:43 08 Sep 07

Check this one

click here

ambra4 21:01 08 Sep 07

The problem is with the USB 1.1. Huawei only works with USB 2

Huawei e220 need 2 usb ports on old laptop

In box is one cable with one port for new USB 2 computers

And one with two for older USB 1.1; So you have to use one usb port on pcmcia card

click here

for modem and one in laptop for power

Colin 11:18 09 Sep 07

ambra4 - thanks for the links, but none could help. Both the laptop & PC have USB2 and I have used both connectors when installing the modem. I think it must be a corrupt file in the software on the modem. If only I could download it from somewhere!

nemo5632 19:35 09 Sep 07

Hi Colin.
I work for 3, And my staff have been selling these modems none stop, this is the 1st time i have heard of errors with them. Have you got it sorted? I have a tech suport number you may have. but i am unsre if its staff only, so i need to look it to that. but a the best option is if you got it from a 3store pop back in they should swap it.

info for other users - All drivers on on the modem no software cd needed unless using MAC. and no i cant/wont get you free phone calls ect...

Stu
[email protected]

Colin 19:50 09 Sep 07

Hi, Stuart. It was bought online. My son is going to speak to 3 tomorrow and arrange for it to be swapped, (hopefully). You are right in that I can't find any reference to problems installing the modem in my web searches, but there's a first time for everything!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant