E:\ is not a valid Win32 application

Diemmess 20:58 19 Sep 14

This is what happens when a friend attempts to install Corel v.12 from the original CD.

If he places Disk 1 in the drive it shows a Corel logo and then spends ages with the "spinner" before showing the title error message - E:\ is not a valid Win32 application.

He must be doing something wrong! I would guess that he is doing something like a double click before the software has had a chance to spin-up by itself. Any idea much appreciated.

Woolwell 21:46 19 Sep 14

Site thinks that a link that I was going to post is spam! Basically it's an installation problem caused by a registry error or malware (unlikely from a CD) or a conflict with something else that is running. Try installing without anti-virus on.

rdave13 22:11 19 Sep 14

Sounds like the optical drive is kaput.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:12 20 Sep 14

see here

Installing a program from a CD or other disk

alanrwood 10:28 20 Sep 14

Had a similar problem with a Corel application a few years ago and found that it worked if I copied the whole disk to the hard drive and ran the install from there by double clicking on the setup.exe file or similar Look in the autorun file to see what file to double click.

Diemmess 13:18 20 Sep 14

Some very good ideas so far. Progress is stalled because 'they' have visitors over the weekend, but the problem has to be solved to enable some editing of parts of the next village magazine. Will return when problem fixed/

Diemmess 15:00 22 Sep 14

All is up and running. I went to see the problem this a.m.

Poked a copy Disk 1 CD into the slot and all was well. Installation completed. The CD was a copy of the Corel suite Disk 1. Weird it was the manufactured disk that failed, not the copy on a blank disk. I bought the program several years back. The day the packet arrived I managed to stick a biscuit crumb to the underside which was cooked there.

Corel were less than helpful. Far from offering an exchange disk, they argued that this was a student edition which should not have been sold to me [Ebay]. The pimple of crumb was cooked on, but was soaked and polished almost clean, The program was installed and its Disk 1 has been used on about three later computers without a snag until now.

Answer to this puzzle - Failure of original installation disk probably made worse by tiny smeared scratchy patch. The progam lives on in a copy

Once more thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac