e-mails lost

mo66ie 15:03 13 Jul 05

This may be a daft question but here goes.
I'm an NTL user and when I logged on this morning my in-box was cleared out. I know it's a bit vague, but, any ideas.

AndySD 15:06 13 Jul 05

What is your operating system...eg Windows XP?
Do you use Outlook Express or Outlook or go to the NTL web site and check your mail there?

mo66ie 12:25 14 Jul 05

Sorry Andy, I should have been more specific. I'm using Windos XP and Outlook Exress. I did find "some" mail in outlook express and found that when I read them they disappeared. Strange?

mo66ie 12:33 14 Jul 05

I also go to NTL's site for my mail but there's never anything in the anymore the all seem to go to Outlook Express.

lotvic 23:32 14 Jul 05

Outlook Express > Tools > Options > General tab, untick the box 'Send and receive messages at startup' and untick the box 'Check for new messages every ** minute(s) '

Then email will only be sent and collected from your account on the NTL server when you click on the 'Send/Recv' button on the top toolbar.

Outlook Express > Tools > Internet Accounts > Mail > *(your name)* @ntlworld.com > Properties > Advanced > at the bottom of this there is a section 'Delivery' and a box that you can put a tick in for 'Leave a copy of messages on server' (if you want to)

DieSse 23:37 14 Jul 05

In OE - go to View - Current View - and make sure it's ticked to "Show all Messages"

Otherwise only some will show (maybe you've got it set to show only Unread Messages?)

lotvic 00:16 15 Jul 05

also see this thread click here as it would seem ntl have some problems at moment

mo66ie 12:47 15 Jul 05

Lotvic, thanks for that I'll let you know how I fair. However having read your second append it certainly looks like NTL have, indeed, some problems. I lost a whole page of e-mails and when I 'phoned the 'hinderence' desk I got some woman who said that they have no control over my e-mails and it must be something on my computer. Yeah, right I may be pretty new to the home networking game but I've got 32 years of IBM experience behind me as, a consultant engineer fpr the past 18 years, IBM use Lotus Notes (having bought the company) as an e-mailer and if I were to loose any of my e-mails or mistakenly deleted them then the Note police (admin chappies) could recover up to a weeks worth quite quickly. So the woman on the 'hinderence' desk need a bit more info or training. She sounded like she was in Bangalore which may explain a feew things. :-) By the way, anybody looking for a good engineer as I've been made redundand as part of IBM's latest cull.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…