E-Mails via a laptop or 3G Datacard?

1936 18:43 26 Jan 05

I want to be able to pickup my e-mails after 19.00 hours when I am out and about in my motor caravan and I understand that it is possible to do this by connecting a laptop to an appropriate mobile telephone.

However, I also understand that I can do the same thing by using a G3 Data card.

As I am a tight fisted old sod I do not want to watse money so I have a couple of questions which I would very much welcome some comments on.

1. Am I right in assuming that as long as I setup my laptop to my normal I.S.P/ E-Mail service all I need to do when I am on the road is to connect the laptop to the mobile telephone and click onto the E-Mail icon and providing that there is a mobile telephone signal I will make E-Mail contact?

2. Am I right in assuming that all one needs to do to make E-Mail contact using a laptop is by sticking a 3G Data Card into the appropriate opening.

3. Am I right in assuming that using a 3G Data card is more expensive than just connecting a mobile telephone to a laptop and if so, why should this be?

I note that a 3G Datacard can be bought for £29.00 plus £79.00 a month or £179.99 and £10.00 a month while one can pay £25.00 a month for 500 minutes off peak and get a free mobile telephone which appears to give the mobile telephone route the edge.

1936 12:00 28 Jan 05

I will be going round the coast of Britain in a motor caravan writing another guide to camping and caravan sites with a view of the sea and I want to be able to pick up my E-Mail messages in the evening when I stop.
I was told by Carphone Warehouse that I could connect a Sony Ericsson T630 to my laptop using a data cable and the O2 "Leisure Tile All" tariff which gives me 500 minutes off peak Xnet.
I worked this out to about 15 minutes an evening or £25.00 a month or 5 pence a minute.
I know how long it takes me to open up my desktop connected to a landline, open my E-Mail and download my messages so I have two questions:
1. Will a laptop + data cable+ mobile telephone work?
2. Will it take that much longer to open up the laptop + mobile connection and download my E-Mail messages than the desktop connection to a landline?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…