The e-mails I send with attachments can't be read

wheelman5 20:00 04 May 05

I'm using Outlook 2000, running under XP Home.Every time I send a message with an attachment, it arrives in a garbled form. The attachment can't be opened. The e-mail itself often arrives as a group of as many as 15 copies.
Messages without attachments get through without trouble.
Is this a virus at work? Norton anti-virus 2003, Internet Security 2003 and Spybot all detect nothing.
Wheelman

madPentium 22:47 04 May 05

what extensions do the attachments have? are they .exe? cause the built in security prevents these I believe?
Try renaming an attachment to test.old and send it, see if it goes thru then.

lotvic 23:51 04 May 05

as a test send one to yourself and tell us what happens

DieSse 00:55 05 May 05

If you send me an email (I'll contact you with my email address) - I'll see if I can see what's happening.

BT 08:54 05 May 05

Try putting the attachment in a Zip file. Most of these will work when the ISP won't allow ordinary attachments

wheelman5 12:20 05 May 05

I've sent a test message to myself and I received three versions.
One was a readable message, plus the (equally readable) Word documeent as an attachment.
One was an advisory message saying that "This is a multi-part message in MIME format" and bearing a Windows attachment icon with the description "28 B".
Attempting to open the attachment generates an error message reading: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error".
The third message is a page of garble, plus the unreadable version of the attachment.

pauldonovan 13:49 05 May 05

When you say 'garbled' - do you see something like this where your attachment should be?

begin 644 file-label

That is outlook uuencoding the file if you see that.

Take a look in outlook in tools, options, then the Mail Format tab. What is in there for 'send in this message format' ?

wheelman5 15:35 05 May 05

Garbled (first line):
"L7mgX2O2N4JDIDmt0/rLNEDky8J0r5q8P/RVpOmmzh9fw34r2h7t+S+uX7NGjbOjJ/fWj0vDstw9"

Attachment signified only by Windows icon with description:
2] (30.7KB)
(28 B)
Outlook message format: Plain text

bretsky 17:19 05 May 05

"This is a multi-part message in MIME format"
This explains what Mime is click here
or click here

bretsky ;0)

pauldonovan 10:49 06 May 05

Take a look in outlook in tools, options, then the Mail Format tab. What is in there for 'send in this message format' ?

wheelman5 11:27 06 May 05

Tools>Options>Mail Format>Send in this message format: "Plain Text"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…