e-mailing a link to a document...?

daba 00:53 06 Jun 04

I'd like to be able perform the simple task of sending an e-mail to someone containing a link to a document, say using r-click in explorer, a choice of "Send Link To" would be fantastic.

Currently the best way I've found to do it is to...

copy the path from the pathbar, start a new email, then copy the path into the body of the e-mail, type a "\" after it then go back to explorer, select the filename for editing, copy the filename text, press esc, then go back to the e-mail, paste the filename on the end of the path, then select all of the path/file specification, and copy it (leave it selected), then choose "Insert->hyperlink", change the type to "file" then paste the copied filespec into the hyperlink box, then hit OK.

Another way is to "send-to" the desktop as shortcut, then e-mail the shortcut to the recipient. I don't remember the detail of this method as I stopped using it almost as soon as I started, the desktop was getting cluttered beyond belief.

Both options border on insanity, surely there must be a simpler way...

BTW I am using W2K,and MS Outlook.

VoG II 01:04 06 Jun 04

Why not just send them the document?

In Windows Explorer, Right Click the document, Send To, Mail recipient.

daba 01:21 06 Jun 04

If I sent the said document to the 25 people who need to see ti there would be 26 copies of it floating around the system, now lets suppose the "document" is a 45 Mb SQL database ??

Nope- sending a link is required here

daba 01:21 06 Jun 04

ti = it

daba 01:26 06 Jun 04

and of course there might be security issues involved, "you can look but you can't have a copy" etc.

i just want to be able to say "hey everyone i've made a few edits in "i'd send you a link if it was easy", take a look and see if you need to respond" type of message

daba 01:13 30 Jun 04

^ bump ^

Pesala 08:28 30 Jun 04

I assume that you're talking about working on a network. All I need to do is click on a shortcut to C:\My Documents\, then browse to the file I want, right-click and copy the address, then paste it into an email: file://localhost/C:/My%20Documents/Page%20Plus/Work/Typeface%20Terminology.ppp

No different if the file is on my webspace. Open a shortcut to my webspace, right-click on the file, copy its address, and paste: click here

I tried in Internet Explorer, and Windows Explorer, but it is not possible. One can browse to the file OK, but one cannot easily copy its address as far as I can see.

Pesala 08:37 30 Jun 04

An address like this file://localhost/C:/My%20Documents/A%20Manual%20of%20the%20Excellent%20Man.pdf doesn't create a click here link in the forum, but it does create a working link in an email. If you browse to a network drive and copy the link, I see no reason why it should not work equally well.

Pesala 09:20 30 Jun 04

Same on my webspace. Just open shortcut, copy shortcut and paste. No problem.

On my local drive: open the folders pane, browse to the file, click twice on the file to rename it, copy the filename, click in address bar, type \, paste filename, copy whole address, paste into email.

C:\My Documents\Text Files\Forums\PCA Help.txt

Pesala 09:22 30 Jun 04

The above doesn't create an active link in an email unless it is prefixed by file://localhost/ so this is not a satisfactory solution in Internet Explorer. Perhaps someone else can suggest a solution.

daba 23:27 30 Jun 04

...... about the 'working on network' comment Pesala.

And it seems, like me, you're finding it just as tiresome as the method I usually use.

I can r-click a document in explorer and 'send to' just about anywhere I want, A: Drive, C:, D:, any of the mapped drives, my USB stick etc. etc., all I have to do is add the destination to my 'Send To' folder. These become permanent destinations for 'send to'. So why can't I do the relatively mundane task of sending the link into a new e-mail. I would have thought it ought to be possible.

Thanks for trying anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…