e-mail from your own address-bogus

mags65 11:34 15 May 06

hi guys, wondering if anyone had anything similar. i and a couple of riends have received e-mails which appear to have come from my own e-mail address. the first telling people that i had set up my own web page - which i haven't - and that they should check it out and it gave a link. this was sent to my own address and several of the contacts in my address book. The second which i have just received, again is apparently from myself into my own inbox and again is also shown as being sent to several of my contacts from my address book and it tells people that my computer crashed several days ago because of viruses and that they should check out a link (sxpress.org) I havent tried it yet as i am a bit dubious and worried it could be something sinister. Anyone able to shed any light and how can i stop this happening again. Incidently my friend tried to access the link to the supposed web page as she thought it had come from me but it didn't appear to work.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:53 15 May 06

Download and run Ewido click here and delete all it finds. Have you a current AV and windows defender/adaware/spybot?

G

fitshase 16:19 15 May 06

This isn't perhaps coming from your hotmail account? I am receiving the same thing and it is using my online contacts list stored online in my hotmail account.

I have contacted hotmail about this and they said that I probably have a virus. I told them I do not have a virus/spyware/adware/malware and that the computer was switched off at the time these e-mails were sent. In addition, I told them that the e-mails had only gone to the contacts on my online hotmail contact list and this list is not stored on my machine. I have suggested that maybe they have a virus on their servers.

Regards

Fitshase

mick 47 23:07 15 May 06

Dear Colleagues

I also had this problem - emails sent out under my name asking people to contact 'my web page'- I also have Ewido - Spyware Blaster - SpyBot Search & Destroy and AdWare - all fully updated. I have a paid up copy of Panda Anti-Virus. I would be really interested to know how this happened.

Mick Cowan

johnnyrocker 23:39 15 May 06

folks the prob is more than likely not yours it generally occurs where someone who has your addresses in their address books and the virus mails out as everyone in their address book including yourselves so best ask your mates if not too many it will die off.

johnny.

fitshase 23:04 16 May 06

The concern I have is that I have an online contacts list (which range from a wedding venue to old/disused e-mail addresses of friends). I do not update this contact list and it is stored in my online Hotmail account. I raised it with them and they came back with a standard text book response:-

fitshase 23:04 16 May 06

Thank you for writing to MSN Hotmail Technical Support.

Before anything else, I apologize for the delay in answering your e-mail. We appreciate your patience as we handle every customer request as quickly as possible.

This is Christina and I understand that you have received several undeliverable messages from which you did not send the original e-mail to your contacts.

I understand how this may have been inconvenient for you.

Ross, we appreciate the time you took to report this to us. We advise you to be cautious and verify with the sender before opening links found in email messages.

After a thorough investigation, we have verified this is due to a worm virus currently propagating itself through e-mail and instant messaging.

The worm sends various messages that entice users to click on a malicious link that leads to a Web site. Clicking on the said link downloads a copy of worm onto message recipients' computers. Upon download, it then gathers e-mail addresses saved on the recipient's computer and sends itself out to all of those addresses. It also creates e-mail addresses using common names appended with a domain name.

The virus, most likely, has acquired your e-mail address from one of your contacts. The virus then forges the "To" field of the e-mail making it appear that it came from you. When a recipient's e-mail server rejects the e-mail, the delivery notification is then sent to your e-mail address. This explains why you have received several non-delivery reports for messages you have not sent.

There are a number of ways you can protect your computer against these viruses:

- Obtain the most recent virus definitions. You can visit your anti-virus company's website or call them to get more information.
- Be cautious about opening messages that contain links to websites.
- Do not open attachments unless you are expecting them.
- Download the latest Microsoft updates frequently. To download the latest updates for Microsoft software, please visit the following links:

click here
click here

If you feel that a virus has already infected your computer, you can get online support (or toll-free telephone support in the U.S. and Canada) for security-related issues such as viruses and security updates from the Microsoft Security Help and Support Team. Please click on the link below:

click here

For more information on how you can protect your computer, please click on the link below:

click here

In addition, to ensure the security of your Hotmail account, we highly recommend that you change your Hotmail password and Secret Question. To do this, please follow the steps below:

To change your Hotmail password:

1. Sign in to your account at: click here.
2. Click "Options" located at the upper-right side of your screen.
3. Click "Personal" located at the left side of your screen.
4. Click the "Password" link. Follow the instructions.

To change your Secret Question:

1. Sign in to your account at: click here.
2. Click "Options" located at the upper-right side of your screen.
3. Click "Personal" located at the left side of your screen.
4. Click the "Secret Question" link. Follow the instructions.

If you encounter problems with changing your password and Secret Question, I suggest that you contact Microsoft Passport Network Team through this link:

click here

We want to assure you that your security and protection online is our top priority and we are dedicated to help you obtain support for security-related issues such as viruses and security updates.

You are a valuable customer to MSN and we are glad to give you consistent and effective service. Thank you for using MSN Hotmail.

Sincerely,

Christina S.
MSN Hotmail Technical Support

Not much use so I e-mailed them back saying I want them to confirm it was not their servers and explain why it's only going to the people in my online list.

I await a response.

johnnyrocker 23:41 16 May 06

i still say that it is likely to be what i posted, if you think about it your 'on line list' has not had any replies to it ever?

johnny.

palinka 13:02 11 Jun 06

This hapopens to most of us at some time and there have ben numerous threads about it in this forum . The degree of severity depends on a) the size of your address book; b)the size of your friends' address books (all of them); c)how secure THEIR systems are; and d)who else they have in their address books. So it isn't something you can control, but it does eventually die out.
Basically it seems to be caused by spyware on someone's computer picking up email addresses from someone (else's?)address book and mailing at random using random addresses taken from that address book. So the basic cause may be the activity of someone unknown to you whose address happens to be in the address book of someone who IS known to you and also has your address in it. My sister, for example, often receives "round robin-type" emails from a friend who receives them from another friend, who has in turn received them........Who knows which of these may have an infected computer or which of these has stored whose email address.

kspatto 10:05 22 Nov 06

Hi

just recieved this message with a zipped attachment(no I havent opened it)------------------Mail server report.

Our firewall determined the e-mails containing worm copies are being sent from your computer.

Nowadays it happens from many computers, because this is a new virus type (Network Worms).

Using the new bug in the Windows, these viruses infect the computer unnoticeably.
After the penetrating into the computer the virus harvests all the e-mail addresses and sends the copies of itself to these e-mail
addresses

Please install updates for worm elimination and your computer restoring.

Best regards,
Customers support service----------------------------------insidious or what its going straight in the bin
ps can anyone remember how to get the location of an emails origin from the full headers
thanks

kspatto 10:06 22 Nov 06

Hi

just recieved this message with a zipped attachment(no I havent opened it)------------------Mail server report.

Our firewall determined the e-mails containing worm copies are being sent from your computer.

Nowadays it happens from many computers, because this is a new virus type (Network Worms).

Using the new bug in the Windows, these viruses infect the computer unnoticeably.
After the penetrating into the computer the virus harvests all the e-mail addresses and sends the copies of itself to these e-mail
addresses

Please install updates for worm elimination and your computer restoring.

Best regards,
Customers support service----------------------------------insidious or what its going straight in the bin
ps can anyone remember how to get the location of an emails origin from the full headers
thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…