e-mail will send, but not download

Peter-298738 16:05 16 Aug 05

Recently, my e-mail doesn't work properly. I can still send out e-mail, but it fails to collect new mail from the server. I get the error message "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F".

This happens with both Tiscali and Blueyonder. A few days ago, it would work if I disabled Zonealarm (I recently installed version 6.0.631.003 and only noticed problems after doing this, but a few days after, not immediately), but this doesn't work any more. I have Windows XP SP2, Outlook Express 6, cable broadband.

Happy Soul 16:45 16 Aug 05

Should be:-

Incoming SMTP.tiscali.co.uk and

Outgoing POP3.tiscali.co.uk

It looks like you have the 3 missing after POP.

Happy Soul 16:45 16 Aug 05

Should be:-

Incoming SMTP.tiscali.co.uk and

Outgoing POP3.tiscali.co.uk

It looks like you have the 3 missing after POP.

Gongoozler 16:51 16 Aug 05

No I don't think that is it, mine is definitely pop.tiscali.co.uk.

j3nks 16:56 16 Aug 05

Can you view the messages on line as sometimes a large or problem message can block the server up, if you can get to the messages delete any that have large attachments or look like spam virus etc (if you need the attachments download them from web before deleting)
Not sure this is the answer in this case as on two addresses.
Can also get ISP to view mailbox and delete messages for you if needed

Happy Soul 17:00 16 Aug 05

Try inserting the 3 Gongoozler, nothing to lose and you can always delete it afterwards if it doesn't work.

Happy Soul 17:04 16 Aug 05

I see you also have Blueyonder which will be set as POP3.blueyonder.co.uk - SMTP.blueyonder.co.uk.

While you're in your e-mail accounts check using 'Test Account Settings'.

Gongoozler 17:11 16 Aug 05

Hi Happy Soul, mine is working fine without the 3, I was just butting in to say that I don't think the 3 will help peterms. I think the problem may be connected with ZoneAlarm or the antivirus program that peterms is using. I have recently come across several instances of email connections not working properly and will be following this thread with interest. One suspicion I have had is that in some instances the cause is a timeout either at the pc or the server. Until this is resolved, peterms could try accessing the emails via the ISP's website.

Happy Soul 23:00 16 Aug 05

Yep, I think you are on the right lines Gongoozler.

Happy Soul 23:03 16 Aug 05

Now this is strange. I just went into my e-mail account, changed it to POP.blueyonder.co.uk, Tested Account Settings and got an error. Inserted the 3, tested again and all OK.

PC Bilbo 23:09 16 Aug 05

These symptons also can happen if e-mail box is over full.If you have tons of mail try clearing some down.

It makes absolutely no difference if you enter server as pop.tiscali.co.uk or pop3.etc. both will work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…