E-Mail Virus Query

SABRE 10:02 12 Aug 04

I regularly receive e-mails in PPt or PPS format. They generally contain some thoughts on life in generall and ask that it is forwarded to umpteen people. can they contain a virus hidden withen the file and if not, what is their purpose?

Stuartli 10:48 12 Aug 04

Do you have antivirus? If so do a scan.

Otherwise use Outlook Express, try blocking these particular type of e-mails from Tools>Message Rules.

Or you can go to OE's Message>Block Sender and, if you get on of these e-mails, highlight it and select Block Sender. OE will ask if this is OK?

Don't answer or reply to them - it will only make matters worse.

Stuartli 10:56 12 Aug 04

...should read "if you use Outlook Express.."

SABRE 11:01 12 Aug 04

....I use MS Outlook and know how to delete without opening through rules and Norton is set to scan my incoming e-mails. My question is can a PPT or PPS file extension contain a virus and if not, what is their purpose?

Belatucadrus 11:57 12 Aug 04

The chain letter is alive and well in the 21st century, their purpose is to gratify the whims of those who are supposititious or have too much time on their hands.

Stuartli 13:11 12 Aug 04

In a word, yes.

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…