E-mail - unable to empty OE 'Outbox' folder

OliveWD 22:31 22 Feb 08

For the past three weeks the Outbox folder fails to empty when sending e-mail by Outlook Express. A dialogue menu states 'Some errors occured while processing, etc . . ' with 'Requested tasks' indicating 'Send message' using 'pop.ntlworld.com'. Server properties indicate that incoming mail is via pop.ntlworld.com and outgoing mail is via smtp.ntlworld.com. I have replaced latter with ping numbers to no effect. To prevent despatch of e-mails ad-infinitum, each sent e-mail has to be removed from Outbox manually (ie: either deleted or transferred to another folder as a draft e-mail). Incoming mail is fine, and other users on same PC do not experience this problem.

Sea Urchin 23:08 22 Feb 08

Empty the Outbox of any messages you want to keep, and then exit Outlook Express.

Click on Start

Click on Search/Find

Enter Outbox.dbx to find this file on your hard drive

Click Search Now

Click on the file to highlight it

Delete this file

Click Yes to confirm delete

Restart Outlook Express, and a new Outbox will be created.

OliveWD 23:49 22 Feb 08

Hi, Sea Urchin. On this occasion deleting Outbox has made no difference, and an inability to empty the Outbox folder of sent e-mail persits - but I do appreciate you taking the trouble to offer advice, thank you.

Sea Urchin 00:24 23 Feb 08

OK two other suggestions I can make. Sometimes if the Sent folder is too large this can stop messages moving from the Outbox. Try deleting some if you think that's the case, and you could also try compacting all the folders. File menu > Folder > Compact All Folders. If you still have a problem try the same with the Sent Items.dbx as you did with the Outbox.dbx. Lastly, if you are using an anti-virus program to scan your outgoing mail switch off the scanning - see if that helps. You will still be covered by the general protection.

OliveWD 09:22 23 Feb 08

Sea Urchin - you are a star!! I am embarrassed to admit that my Sent folder contained over 15000 emails, and I was unaware of a size limit. These have been relocated to a storage folder, the Sent folder deleted as you recommended, and I have just sent an e-mail that cleared from the Outbox for the first time in three weeks. Your patience and advice was greatly appreciated - thank you!

Sea Urchin 11:07 23 Feb 08

Thanks OliveWD for your kind comments - I am delighted to hear that the Sent Folder solution worked. It's easy for email folders to become overinflated very quickly - mine included. I think I'll go and sort them out while I think of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac