E-mail server........... localhost

tuckswood8 23:27 12 Nov 03

Girlfriend's computer had pop3 server set to "localhost" in Outlook Express.
Following move to ADSL this did not work (unable to connect message) Set server to "pop.virgin.net" as normal and things work fine but after a couple of days it resets itself to localhost and am unable to receive e-mails again.
Tried changing client to Eudora but same thing happens there. Virus checked with AVG and PC-cillin but nothing found, also no files on system with name localhost.
Any suggestions?

DieSse 23:31 12 Nov 03

Pc-Cillin is what makes this change,as part of it's routine to check incoming emails.

Basically it sets a local proxy server to catch the emails - which it then checks, then passes them on to Outlook Express - hence OE has to pick them up from the "local host".

I beleive they have fixed this in later versions, so that it no longer causes the problems it once did.

VoG II 23:31 12 Nov 03

I believe that some anti-virus programs (e.g. Norton) do this. I suggest that you look into their options re e-mail scanning.

tuckswood8 23:36 12 Nov 03

Problem solved.... thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…