E-mail scanner within AVG 7 Free

Tenacious Green 14:53 11 Nov 04

I seem to have a problem within AVG 7 Free (Downloaded today) in that the E-mail scanner is not working.

It says it is but having gone in E-mail scanner properties and clicked 'Display statistics' I can see that the results clearly show it isn't working as it had no record of e-mails sent and received, which I have sent and received.

I run ZA Free and have checked the config with that which is fine as the issue is only with ZA Pro (Conflict with its own E-mail scanner).
The E-mail scanner has not asked for Internet access either. I tried adding it as but it will not manually add.

I run E-mail through AOL and MSN hotmail. I knw these have their own virus checker but would like to know AVG 7 free is functioning correctly.

Any suggestions? (I have posted on AVG FORUM with no response at this time).

BurrWalnut 16:05 11 Nov 04

I had this and it mysteriously started working after a few days (reboots).

Tenacious Green 16:11 11 Nov 04

Thanks, but just in case mine is not as simple a matter any other suggestions.

BurrWalnut 16:25 11 Nov 04

There is a PDF file relating to firewall exceptions did you read it click here . Look at the bottom of the page.

Tenacious Green 16:32 11 Nov 04

yeah, read that- I don't think that is the cause of my problem as that does relate to Zone Alarm Pro not free version. thanks

TommyRed 16:35 11 Nov 04

I have exactly the same problem AVG shows that the 'e-mail scanner is not fully functional'. It also wont allow me to activate it. Can't get through to the firewall query on the AVG site it just times out, may be millions of people with same problem. Will keep an eye on this thread. I only use Windows firewall as one is provided by server I think. TR

deke 16:39 11 Nov 04

bump for more info

deke 16:40 11 Nov 04

bump for more info

WMB 16:46 11 Nov 04

Installed AVG 7.0 free last Saturday, uninstalled and back to AVG 6 by Sunday.

I had problem with the e-mail scanner - at first I couldn't connect to the Tiscali mail server, then after fiddling with various settings got it to work, only then to be pestered by the e-mail scanner appearing to try and connect to the mail server every minute or so when I was on-line. This was irrespective of having Outlook Express open.

Tenacious Green 18:16 11 Nov 04

Think I might have answered my own question - Found this message in the AVG 7 Free pdf user guide: -

Warning: If you work with Webmail (such as hotmail.com, msn.com, yahoo.com, etc.), you are using your Internet browser (for example, MS Internet Explorer) only to access your e-mail box, and your attachments are not downloaded to your computer until you access them. The main risk that you face in this case comes from e-mail message attachments. Because of this, your e-mail is not scanned by the available plug-ins, and scanning of the potentially dangerous attachments takes place as you access them. We recommend using AVG Free to check any executable file or MS Office documents that you receive through electronic mail.

That's why it doesn't appear to work with me as I don't use a Client such as Outlook express.

Worry over - I'll have to rely on AOL and MSN to check mine then.

TommyRed 19:24 11 Nov 04

Just rebooted the PC and e-mail scanner appears to be working ok, so you were right BurrWalnut. Sent myself an e-mail and the checker confirmations are on both the one sent and the one received. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…