E mail and other programs not working

Fred the flour grader 20:56 04 Sep 06

Hi guys,

Got the following problems which I have just noticed tonight after switching the PC on. I have tried rebooting it but still no joy, can anyone help me.

When I click send/recieve on Outlook Express I get this message:
The server responded with an error. Account: 'blueyonder', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

If I click on Zonealarm, Blueyonder instant support tool I get the following message.

Problem with shortcut:
The drive or network connection that the shortcut refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available then try again.

The only thing I can think of is I inserted a disc into my cd rom which was only to be used on a PC with windows 2000 service pack 4 or XP or later.
I am running windows 98 se. Any help greatly appreciatted.....thanks, Fred

howard63 21:02 04 Sep 06

if you have not restarted too many times go to a dos prompt and type scanreg /restore and with luck you can go back to before the problem started but beware this only works for about 4 restarts. This was the forerunner to system restore which came with win ME then XP.

Fred the flour grader 21:20 04 Sep 06

That has rectified it fine, I am really gratful, thanks a lot....Fred.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…