E-mail from Microsoft?

mattyc_92 17:39 02 Aug 05

Hi, I have just checked my AOL e-mail, and I have recived an e-mail from "Microsoft" with the subject "The benefits of Genuine Windows".

This e-mail asks to go to the MS website to see if my Windows is Legal (which it is and I have already done)

I do not recall giving Microsoft my AOL address, only my Hotmail.

Does anyone know why I am recieving e-mails from MS when they SHOULDN'T know that my address exists? Could it be AOL forwarding my address to MS?

As usual, thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 02 Aug 05

Pobaly a spammer or worst directing you to a fake windows site to verify you e-mail and worst access you password / details

delete the e-mail!!!

mattyc_92 17:46 02 Aug 05

Thanks for your repsonse, but it is a "orginal" e-mail from MS. It is layed out as they usually lay their e-mails out, and the website it links to is a real "subsite" from the MS site.

It links to "http:// www. microsoft.com/uk/windows/genuine/default.mspx" but obviously, without the spaces.

Should I try to contact MS and ask how they got my e-mail address? or just leave it?

Belatucadrus 18:32 02 Aug 05

I've also received one, but as connecting to the link gets a security certificate warning, genuine or not it's been deleted.

mattyc_92 18:34 02 Aug 05

Thaks for your response Belatucadrus.

Being as I am not the only one to get this e-mail, I will tick this thread...

Thanks for all replies made.

palinka 18:51 02 Aug 05

as I understand it, and as advised regularly in the Forum, Microsoft NEVER send you (ie anyone) emails.

mattyc_92 18:55 02 Aug 05

They actually do, but you need to tell then you wish to revieve these e-mails. For example, I have signed up for the "Monthly Download Newsletter" which tells me the LATEST programs (free and comerical) that I can download from the MS site. But this is only for my Hotmail address, not AOL.

O well, if I recieve another e-mail from MS, I will contact them asking them how they got my addy as I don't recall giving my AOL addy out to MS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…